USB Issues with WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been playing around with WHS 2011 over the holidays and I’m pretty disappointed so far. In truth, I’m not sure if it is ME, the OS, or my HARDWARE I installed WHS onto. And if I can’t figure this out I’m going to stick with my old and reliable WHS v1.

I’ve installed WHS on the following hardware:

ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU (yes, I'm running the latest BIOS)
    Intel P5 Dual Core 3 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    1 GB NIC
    1 TB SATA
    430W PSU

While the new WHS 2011 box does well at just sitting there, access has been relatively slow, particularly via remote. But of greatest concern is that I can’t seem to connect ANY external drive to it via any USB port. I’ve tried:

Bare SATA drives via a USB connector kit
    External USB boxed drives
    Buffalo Drive Station
    Thermaltake BlacX with SATA drive inserted

Now all of these things work just fine when connected to either my Windows 7 desktop or Windows 7 laptop, But when I plug these into WHS 2011 , if it does anything, it frequently wants to format the drive. However, most of the time it just sits there and become non-responsive, frequently saying that the device couldn’t be recognized. Even if I just plug in a USB stick!

Questions:

My hardware isn’t that bad is it?
    What am I missing here?
    Or should I just reinstall?

Thanks in advance,
    --Ed

Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:31 PM

All replies

• Something seriously wrong as USB external drives should present no problem at all. Are you looking at them via the Dashboard, where they should be seen as Server backup locations rather than as internal storage?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, December 26, 2011 2:19 AM
  • I’m actually monitoring them mostly from the My Computer window with all the system’s drives displayed (where the USB connected drives only occasionally appear) and via the Server Manager’s Disk Management screen.  Frequently the latter locks up.

--Ed

Ed Correia
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Pretty clearly you have a problem of some sort with your motherboard, not with Windows Home Server per se. Have you installed chipset drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2, if available (or for Windows 7 x64 if not)? If your motherboard is new, it's possible that it's DOA. If it's old, it's possible it's failing as a result of power or other issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Yes, I loaded and re-loaded the chipset drivers, updated the BIOS etc.  I gave up yesterday and started the RMA process. 

Such a waste of time.

Thanks anyway.

Ed Correia
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:30 PM