none
Software Licensing making many applications unusable RRS feed

• Question

• I think I've tracked down the multiple error messages informing me that my pre-installed version of Vista Home Premium (32 bit) is not valid or a counterfeit copy. When I searched Google and the MS KB, it seems this is a common error. If that service (Software Licensing) is not turned on, I get the error messages stating this copy of windows either needs to be validated or is counterfeit. Also, I've tracked down the following problems to the same service: Control Panel will not open, My Computer will not open, Defrag will not open, System Security will not open and I cannot use my printers for printing either. Once I restart the Software Licensing Service, all the above mentioned problems are solved.

My question is twofold, why does the service keep getting turned off? Also, I've read there are only a certain amount of times I can validate Vista before it become unusable, is this true? I've been a huge supporter of Vista since I got it, and have tried to stop some of the people who are so disgusted they want to go back to XP. I've spoke up for Vista in online tech forums such as pcmag.com, majorgeeks.com, etc., but I'm now wondering what is going on myself.

This has been an issue since I got my HP a6130n machine approximately 8 months ago (running, as I stated above, Windows Vista Home Premium on an AMD LIVE! Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5000+, 3GB's RAM, 400 GB internal Samsung hard drive, 1 TB external Western Digital My Book Essential Edition hard drive, Canon Pixma MP610 printer, an nVidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB video card, an APC ES Series 550VA Battery Backup UPS, etc). I thought Vista SP1 would address this problem, but I was wrong.

Please shed some light on this please, as HP said it is a known issue, and from researching online, many users are having to do what I'm having to do when we want to do something as simple as open Control Panel, My Compter, or print - open Services and restart Software Licensing, which is really a pain when we know Vista can do better; it is a far superior OS compared to XP (but I still have a Dell PC running XP SP3, and I love it too), but I don't want to downgrade this stunningly fast HP to XP.

Thank you all very much for your very valuable time, attention and expertise, facemate
    Monday, April 7, 2008 2:32 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Validation Code: 0x80070426 means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista can't confirm it's Genuine status and such assumes Non-Genuine. 

Below is the manual steps to force start the service.

a) If you receive any errors when running the "net start slsvc" command, then you will need to contact Vista support as the issue is deeper issue in Vista that is causing the command to not process correctly.

b) If the "net start slsvc" command succeeds in re-starting the Service, but the Service stops again, I can only assume that either a program of some sort is suppressing the Service or something is wrong with the the file (slsvc.exe) that runs the Service (possibly corrupted?).  In this instance, I would suggest creating a (no cost) WGA Support Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Lastly, I am not aware of any "Known" issue with the Software Licensing Service stopping, so if you talk to HP support again, please request the URLs for any and all support docs that outline this "Known" issue.  If you still believe this is some sort of known issue, I would suggest that you install Service Pack 1 as any fix would be included in that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

If you have acces to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net start slsvc

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, April 7, 2008 10:52 PM

All replies

• I have had the same exact problems since yesterday. I left the computer on and walked away. When I returned, it looked as if it had rebooted (because it was asking for a log on password), and I could not open the control panel, games, update windows, etc. I can't really check to see what is going on because those windows won't open. Also, I tried to use a hotfix someone suggested, and it didn't work. I tried starting up the software licensing service, and it wouldn't start. I tried downloading some more suggested hotfixes, and I was told by the MS website that my copy of windows was not genuine.... When I've had it for almost a year now! This is the output of the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4KBD2-DFPRH-488QB
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5bjL/YPli5AcAptybeeVqQCT+NE=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7200973-42146
    Windows Product ID Type: 8
    Windows License Type: COA SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {57726288-4C83-4101-86AD-EA149322D3CA}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_ldr.071023-1545
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{57726288-4C83-4101-86AD-EA149322D3CA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-488QB</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7200973-42146</PID><PIDType>8</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-244573933-395554072-3676690872</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                         </Manufacturer><Model>NX570X                          </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>77.14   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070519000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4B323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>GATEWA</OEMID><OEMTableID>SYSTEM  </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>2618E14E3AB8F71</Val><Hash>D9EuAW2Q6sdqcTbGC3ax9czprQ4=</Hash><Pid>81599-952-8699145-65758</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

HELP? ANYONE?
    Monday, April 7, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Hello,

The Validation Code: 0x80070426 means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista can't confirm it's Genuine status and such assumes Non-Genuine. 

Below is the manual steps to force start the service.

a) If you receive any errors when running the "net start slsvc" command, then you will need to contact Vista support as the issue is deeper issue in Vista that is causing the command to not process correctly.

b) If the "net start slsvc" command succeeds in re-starting the Service, but the Service stops again, I can only assume that either a program of some sort is suppressing the Service or something is wrong with the the file (slsvc.exe) that runs the Service (possibly corrupted?).  In this instance, I would suggest creating a (no cost) WGA Support Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Lastly, I am not aware of any "Known" issue with the Software Licensing Service stopping, so if you talk to HP support again, please request the URLs for any and all support docs that outline this "Known" issue.  If you still believe this is some sort of known issue, I would suggest that you install Service Pack 1 as any fix would be included in that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

If you have acces to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, April 7, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Hi. Thanks for your help. I tried the third step set here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3122607&SiteID=25

And it worked for me. Perhaps the other step sets may work for others as well?

BTW, my machine is a Gateway N570X laptop, running an Intel Core 2 Duo, and Windows Vista Ultimate (no SP1, yet).

Monday, April 7, 2008 11:48 PM
  • This is a common problem, well know in the Vista User Community, well know it would seem to everyone except Microsoft. I have a Gateway Laptop that came pre-installed with Vista Home Preimun. It has Service Pack 2 so it wasn't fixed in that upgrade. It has no internal hardware modifications, but of course all the peripheral devices had to be replaced to be compatible with Vista. Restarting the SL UI Notification Service and the Software Licensing Service will sometimes correct this bug, but not always.... you just have to keep dinking with it. Luckily I have several workstations with different OS's so I mostly use the Vista box as a glorified web browser. I haven't seen this bug in Windows 7, I will probably make the laptop a Linux box when I get the time.

Regards all and good luck.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:59 PM