Added drives - view files? RRS feed

• Question

• I did my original install of WHS with just a 160 Gig HD in place knowing that I would later add more storage.  When WHS installed it created 2 partions.  One partition system files and the other for storage.  I have just added 2 750 Gig HDs and used the console to add them for storage use.  My question now is I have files like music, videos, and users folders that are on the second partition that was created on install. Are the storage drives now being used for these files?  If not is there a way to get them moved over?  The storage drives do not show up with drive letters either, should they?  If files are on the storage drives, how can you view the files (since I do not see drive letters)?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

•  Stu Pidaso wrote:

I did my original install of WHS with just a 160 Gig HD in place knowing that I would later add more storage.  When WHS installed it created 2 partions.  One partition system files and the other for storage.  I have just added 2 750 Gig HDs and used the console to add them for storage use.  My question now is I have files like music, videos, and users folders that are on the second partition that was created on install. Are the storage drives now being used for these files?  If not is there a way to get them moved over?  The storage drives do not show up with drive letters either, should they?  If files are on the storage drives, how can you view the files (since I do not see drive letters)?

Both Andrew and Enchanter are right. However, to answer your question about actually viewing the files on the drives:

1. Logon to your WHS using RDP (Remote desktop) or KVM

2. Open explorer window

3. Browse to C:\fs. There you will see drive letters and you can browse the individual drives and view the files.

4. Don't interfere with the way WHS uses your storage drives. It will only mess-up things.

To read more about the way WHS stores the data please read Drive Extender

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:20 PM

All replies

• If you have added your 2 new hard drives to the Windows Home Server storage pool then WHS sees one big pool consisting of your 2 new drives plus the storage partition from your original drive. That is how it is supposed to work.

You dont need to move any files at all - WHS will use the space it needs when it needs it.

The drives should not show up as drive letters - WHS doesnt use drive letters for normal use - you only need to worry about the shared folders.

You view the files by opening the shared folders.

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:27 PM
  • There's an addin called duplication info that allows you to see where you files are at. 

Also, you can go into disk management after you remote desktop to the WHS and see how much of each drive is being used. 

BUT these things all happen behind the scene and you should not have to worry about them.  Use the shares and watch your space available using the console.  Let WHS and it's Drive Extender do the work.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:40 AM
  •  Stu Pidaso wrote:

I did my original install of WHS with just a 160 Gig HD in place knowing that I would later add more storage.  When WHS installed it created 2 partions.  One partition system files and the other for storage.  I have just added 2 750 Gig HDs and used the console to add them for storage use.  My question now is I have files like music, videos, and users folders that are on the second partition that was created on install. Are the storage drives now being used for these files?  If not is there a way to get them moved over?  The storage drives do not show up with drive letters either, should they?  If files are on the storage drives, how can you view the files (since I do not see drive letters)?

Both Andrew and Enchanter are right. However, to answer your question about actually viewing the files on the drives:

1. Logon to your WHS using RDP (Remote desktop) or KVM

2. Open explorer window

3. Browse to C:\fs. There you will see drive letters and you can browse the individual drives and view the files.

4. Don't interfere with the way WHS uses your storage drives. It will only mess-up things.

To read more about the way WHS stores the data please read Drive Extender

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who replied. This make more sense to me now.  I was using a mapped drive link to the second partition that was created on install but seems I should be using the shared files path.  Because I was doing this it was a little confusing as the paths )to a specific file) in the address bar would look different depending on which method I used.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Just a quick follow up question.  We use the WHS of course to store our music files.  If we access the music via network shares path it take a looong time to switch from folder to folder.  If we use a mapped drive path it is just as fast as accessing a local drive.  Is there anything that can speed up the network path?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:46 AM
  •  Stu Pidaso wrote:

Just a quick follow up question.  We use the WHS of course to store our music files.  If we access the music via network shares path it take a looong time to switch from folder to folder.  If we use a mapped drive path it is just as fast as accessing a local drive.  Is there anything that can speed up the network path?

You can use this Script to map WHS shares automatically on client

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Maybe I was not clear.  I already have drives mapped, that is no problem.  I created a batch file that runs a net use command that takes care of that.  My question was more if you go into "My network places" it seems to be much slower.  Anything taht can be done to make that method faster?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:24 PM
  •  Stu Pidaso wrote:

Maybe I was not clear.  I already have drives mapped, that is no problem.  I created a batch file that runs a net use command that takes care of that.  My question was more if you go into "My network places" it seems to be much slower.  Anything taht can be done to make that method faster?

OK, didn't realise that. There's a few things you can do to speed that up. Some good starting points would be

Slow Network Browsing in XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245800/

TweakXP.com - Slow Network Browsing

If you need more please search the web for "Windows slow network browsing" and you will get loads of hits.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:17 PM