none
SQL 2012 prep materials not out? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to take some SQL exams.  However, I don't want to take the 2008 since 2012 is coming out in less than a week (I know I could get the 2-for-1s, but it's more a matter of getting the time off work for double the number of exams...not going to fly).  So I'd like to take the 2012 ones, but it looks like the course materials (specifically for 70-461 to start) don't come out until Sept/Oct.  ???  Is there any way to prep for this other than just knowing previous versions and hoping you can fake enough of the new stuff?  Seems kind of bizarre to release the exams before the prep materials.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• What I do is use the skills measured in an exam  and then research content using SQL Server Books Online (BOL), blogs and technical articles

Skills Measured: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-461#tab2

BOL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx

Blogs: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/

Technical Articles: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/learning-center.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:49 AM
  • Thanks.  What about practice exams, though?  Or at least practice questions?  I never take an exam without having done the practice first - just to be sure I didn't misinterpret what was required, and that I'm not likely to be wasting my time/money going in for the exam.

Frankly, that's one of the biggest reasons I buy any course book.  :-)
    • Edited by Teleute00 Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:27 PM
  • There are no SQL Server 2012 practice exams available and I'm not sure when they'll be released.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by Teleute00 Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Unfortunate.  Thanks!

Is this how it usually goes?  (i.e. the exam being released months before the prep books/exams/etc...?  Or is this an unusual occurence?

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Only the Beta exams have been released.  Live exams are due around the middle of June 2012

Unfortunately this is quite usual.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Hi there, I was looking at the skills measured as Mr. Wharty suggested, but the problem is that it says for example "Create and alter tables using T-SQL syntax (simple statements)" - what does it actually mean "simple statements"? Does it mean that "advanced" options like filestream, partitioning, fillfactor, etc. are not in the test? How to determine what is a simple statement? I've been working with SQL Server since the version 2000, but I am not familiar with some of these options, because I haven't needed to use them and those I have I simply forgot, so need to refresh my memory before the exam - but the question is what is the depth of knowledge required. There are other exams following 70-461 so I assume you don't need to know everything to pass it;-) Thanks for replies, much appreciated!
    Monday, July 23, 2012 11:35 PM