Deleted files from Shared folders in Trash Bin RRS feed

• Question

• What I would find very handy is when users delete files from the shared folders (it always could happen per accident) that the file doesn't get lost but that it will go to the Trash Bin of the Server.

Anyone else that finds this handy?

For the rest I only have to say: GREAT PRODUCT !!!

Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:13 PM

Answers

• Paul, Windows doesn't support the Recycle Bin for network shares at all. The hooks just aren't there. It would probably be possible for the team to add something similar, though. You might want to submit a product suggestion on Connect (after first searching for previous submissions like yours). Microsoft is using that as a way of gauging community interest in potential features.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• There is a feature that you may not have noticed that's available for shared folders. If, on any computer with the connector installed, you right click a share, file or folder on the WHS, you will see a "Previous Versions" tab that will allow you to roll back that file or folder. For a file that was accidentally deleted, you would roll back the folder. This is pretty much the same as the Vista Shadow Copy feature.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:29 PM
  • The Previous Version is a very handy feature, but it's a snap shot not a running image. My "previous version" is based on 7am and noon.

If someone creates a document at 7:15am, then someone accidentally deletes it at 11:45am before the next snap shot, that file is lost. If there was a recycle bin it would be recoverable. It's the same situation between 12:01pm and whenever the nightly backup hits a specific file - until it's on tape or 7am the next morning, there is no recovery of a deleted file.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Paul, Windows doesn't support the Recycle Bin for network shares at all. The hooks just aren't there. It would probably be possible for the team to add something similar, though. You might want to submit a product suggestion on Connect (after first searching for previous submissions like yours). Microsoft is using that as a way of gauging community interest in potential features.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:26 PM