none
Updating Windows Live - writer causes an issue as it won't uninstall

Question

• When I try to update windows live it gets as far as writer and then rolls back.  I have used the install cleaners etc. When I go to uninstall writer I get an error telling me it can't find a patch.  I can't uninstall it.  If I can't uninstall writer it looks like I am stuck with an old version of windows live as that won't update either!  Any ideas anyone?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• What did you try doing when you say "install cleaners"?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I followed the advice on the microsoft website that said to use:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/0/23036331-516d-4c7e-b9ac-31554a2fec06/WL-Beta-remove.zip (http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/0/23036331-516d-4c7e-b9ac-31554a2fec06/wl-beta-remove.zip)

and

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

both of which failed to solve the problem.  When I try to remove writer using windows I get the message:

This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

I don't know what it is looking for or where it might be to verify.  There doesn't seem to be a source for this file on the web either so it can be downloaded and reinstalled.  All the advice I have read talks about installing a beta first and then the full programme afterwards.

Please help, this is beyond my mediocre knowledge level.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I can help you with this. Please e-mail me at joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com, and include the build number of Writer you're using (Help | About Windows Live Writer). The build number looks something like 12.0.xxx.xxx.

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:46 PM
    Owner
  • I can help you with this. Please e-mail me at joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com, and include the build number of Writer you're using (Help | About Windows Live Writer). The build number looks something like 12.0.xxx.xxx.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem here! Writer won't uninstall, whatever I try...
    Can you please help me?
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:41 AM

Thanks!

I am also having the same problem I've tried everything that JFTaylor has done but can't remove writer so that I can update mail & messenger, it continually rolls back every time.

My writer version is 12.0.1370.0325

Please can you help?

Thanks!
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:16 AM
  • I was able to uninstall Writer, without any problems!, using Windows Installer Cleanup . Works perfectly!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I have the same problem and have tried the Windows Installer Cleanup but it didnt help. I cant even open Windows Live Writer! It only shows in my Control Panel.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 9:20 PM
  • I downloaded a piece of software called 'Revo Uninstaller' and once installed used the advanced option to delete all traces of Live Writer. It worked to allow me to re-install Live Writer again and use it as normal. The cause in my case was deleting folders that I shouldn't have but Revo sorted it. JT
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:39 PM
  • I downloaded a piece of software called 'Revo Uninstaller' and once installed used the advanced option to delete all traces of Live Writer. It worked to allow me to re-install Live Writer again and use it as normal. The cause in my case was deleting folders that I shouldn't have but Revo sorted it. JT
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Funny you mention it I just did the same thing. I tried using Perfect Uninstaller first but it wanted $45 so I ended up using Revo and it worked like a charm!
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:02 PM
  • I just downloaded and used the Revo Uninstaller and it showed a bunch of files that it had uninstalled.  I uninstalled Windows Live Essentials, trying to get rid of Live Writer and it's components.  However, when I go to download it says I already have it.  Please help.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:57 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem. I also used Revo Uninstaller but when I go to reinstall Windows Live Writer it says I already have it. I can't find it anywhere on my system so why is this happening?

Best wishes,

Rachel

Saturday, May 1, 2010 3:45 PM
  • To uninstall Windows Live Writer, click Start, then type/paste the following and press Enter:
    msiexec /x {178832DE-9DE0-4C87-9F82-9315A9B03985}

done.

Until next time,

LEHenryJr.

LEHSYS.com

• Proposed as answer by lehenryjr Monday, May 3, 2010 1:58 AM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Thank you so much! That worked amazingly! :)

Can I ask you or someoneelse some advice on the reason why I wanted to uninstall it in the first place?

Basically, once I have downloaded writer I then click on the Windows Writer icon in my start section. It then comes up with the Windows Live Writer sign but almost immediately comes up with a message saying Windows Live Writer has encountered an error and has to close. Then it closes.

I have now tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it with both the normal downloader and the stand alone downloader but both have the same error message and close before getting to the actual programme.

Anyone able to help me with this? I really want to use this programme but it's turning into such a palava, it's crazy!

Best wishes,

Rachel

Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:36 AM
  • You can email your issue to wlw-team@microsoft.com

See what they say.

I hope this helps...

Until next time,

LEHenryJr.

LEHSYS.com

Monday, May 3, 2010 1:58 AM