"Other Companies" reln for Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

I am working with a CRM v4 customer who needs to associate a Contact with several Accounts. They want to select one as the "primary Account" using the built-in relationship in CRM, and then have the others as "Other Companies". So I created a N:N relationship from Contact->Account, which allows me to add the companies from the Contact side, but when I try to add a contact from the Account side I get the error “Cannot create relationship because another exists that has a cascading action.” Because of the existing relationship between accounts and contacts.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to how I should do this? I was thinking perhaps the easiest way is to just stick with the Accounts/Contacts relationship as it exists, and then just create a custom view in Contacts that shows al accounts the Contact is associated with. However that way the association would have to be created from the account, and the customer is wanting to be able to just select a bunch of “Other Companies” from a contact, the same way Contacts can be associated with an Account. They also like the fact that the N:N relationship has the “Add Existing” button (i.e. and no “New” button), and that the records can only be dis-associated, not deleted.

Any and all advice is much appreciated,

John.

Monday, December 27, 2010 10:39 PM

Answers

• In order to avoid the error you're receiving with your custom N:N relationship, you'll need to disable cascading behavior for the relationship.

Have you looked into the customizable "Relationships" model of associating Accounts and Contacts together in a N:N fashion?  This is depreciated in CRM 2011 (though still available) for a new model of linking records together, called "Connections".  It's a handy way of easily tying records together in a dynamic fashion without having to create new N:N relationships.  "Relationships" and "Connections" offer an intermediary record that represents both of the linked records, and the ordinal roles each takes as part of the link.

In CRM 4, the "relationships" of Accounts and Contacts can be formed or broken without affecting the principal records.  Unfortunately, you're severely limited in the amount of information available to the "Relationships" grid for viewing these associations--making quick glances less informative than a N:N relationship.  On the upside, you can use "Relationships" to encapsulate any number of associations between Contacts and Accounts without having to create a new N:N relationship to represent each one individually.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• In order to avoid the error you're receiving with your custom N:N relationship, you'll need to disable cascading behavior for the relationship.

Have you looked into the customizable "Relationships" model of associating Accounts and Contacts together in a N:N fashion?  This is depreciated in CRM 2011 (though still available) for a new model of linking records together, called "Connections".  It's a handy way of easily tying records together in a dynamic fashion without having to create new N:N relationships.  "Relationships" and "Connections" offer an intermediary record that represents both of the linked records, and the ordinal roles each takes as part of the link.

In CRM 4, the "relationships" of Accounts and Contacts can be formed or broken without affecting the principal records.  Unfortunately, you're severely limited in the amount of information available to the "Relationships" grid for viewing these associations--making quick glances less informative than a N:N relationship.  On the upside, you can use "Relationships" to encapsulate any number of associations between Contacts and Accounts without having to create a new N:N relationship to represent each one individually.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for the extensive info, Dave. I'll give this a try.

John.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:58 PM