ideal machine to run WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Is everyone finding the minimum system requirements for Windows Home Server outlined in the Getting Started Guide sufficient? If not what components should I change? I am planning on buying all new hardware. Thank you.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 3:04 PM

All replies

• I was just on new egg, and pricing a dream system for this... don't need a lot in the video card area, since it is designed to run headless.  a nice compact design would be nice to stuff it on a shelf.

SATA and IDE are good, Processor not as important as RAM, but still upgrade path for both would be nice.  What I settled on would cost ~300 for case, mb, memory and processor:

Specs:

ASRock 775i65G LGA 775 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz

RAM - the main board takes DDR memory so lots of choices, and a micro-ATX of your choice.

The reasons I used was some backwards compatibility with my current PIII (800MHz) that is running Home Server like a champ (though another 1/2 gig of memory wouldn't hurt)

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I built a home server with a cheap Winfast AM2 based mATX mobo, Sempron 3400+, 512mb DDR2.  It came to less than £100 including nice asus case.  Been rock solid so far, and pretty low powered and quiet. 

If you're buying from scratch don't buy something that takes DDR as its expensive compared with DDR2.  Also AMD is better bang for buck in the lower end than intel.

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:22 PM
  • i found some parts laying around the house and built my WHS around a athlon xp 1700+, a DFI motherboard, a stick of 512 ddr, and an 80 gig hard drive. WHS has been running perfectly since install with no downtime other than a few restarts, only problem is with backups of the 3 other pc's in the house, which is a bit hard with only 60 gigs available.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I've just started looking around for parts for my eventual final release WHS machine and just thought I'd pass along what I've found so far to see what others think of my initial options.

Foxconn K8S755A-6EKRS Socket 754 SiS 755 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 2.0GHz 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor

I liked the motherboard because it has 4 SATA ports, runs an AMD processor (I like AMD, but I'm not opposed to Intel) and it's not very expensive.

I'll be picking out hard drives closer to when the actual release of WHS comes out, cause prices will most likely be a little bit cheaper by then.

Any thoughts?

Saturday, June 23, 2007 1:54 AM
  •  Brian Mills wrote:
    I've just started looking around for parts for my eventual final release WHS machine and just thought I'd pass along what I've found so far to see what others think of my initial options.

Foxconn K8S755A-6EKRS Socket 754 SiS 755 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 2.0GHz 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor

I liked the motherboard because it has 4 SATA ports, runs an AMD processor (I like AMD, but I'm not opposed to Intel) and it's not very expensive.

I'll be picking out hard drives closer to when the actual release of WHS comes out, cause prices will most likely be a little bit cheaper by then.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't base a new machine on skt 754, go AM2.  The prices are basically the same and you get a lot more 'upgradeability' with AM2.  The price of DDR2 also makes ddr2 machine cheaper if you don't already have any RAM.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:42 AM
  •  almonde wrote:

I wouldn't base a new machine on skt 754, go AM2.  The prices are basically the same and you get a lot more 'upgradeability' with AM2.  The price of DDR2 also makes ddr2 machine cheaper if you don't already have any RAM.

Thanks for the advice.  It's been ages since I built a computer for myself, and I've gotten a bit out of the loop on what's good and what's not.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:12 PM