XP NOT VALID RRS feed

• Question

• I RECENTLY BOUGHT A COMPAQ PRESARIO 2100 WITH XP ON IT...IT WASN'T RUNNING PROPERLY SO WE HAD A FRIEND WORK ON IT. HIS FIX WAS TO REINSTALL WINDOWS BUT APARENTLY WITH A PIRATED COPY. I HAVE THE PROPER KEY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE COMPUTER BUT CANNOT UPDATE IT BECAUSE WRONG VERSION???  HOW DO I REMEDY THIS WITHOUT SPENDING $150 ON A NEW COPY OF WINDOWS. THE COMPUTER CAME WITH WINDOWS AND SO THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO FIX THIS.. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:57 AM

Answers

• Tom29,

If a nongenuine installation of XP Pro is currently installed and the Certificate of Authenticity is for XP Home or Media Center Edition, you will have to use the Recovery Solution supplied by Compaq to cleanly install XP Home back onto the computer.

If a nongenuine installation of XP Pro is currently installed and the Certificate of Authenticity is for XP Pro, you should be able to genuine-ize the current installation without a reinstallation by using the Product Key Updater utility, which  you can access from this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:03 AM