none
Is it normal for my WHS box not to show up under "network"? RRS feed

• Question

• When I browse my network I do not see my WHS box listed as a computer and am therefore unable to browse the shared directories. It does, however, show up as an "other device" and when I double click on it I'm taken to the welcome.aspx page on the server.

I am able to browse the shares by right clicking on the WHS connector software in the tray and clicking "shared folders" or by clicking on the "shared folders" shortcut on the desktop.

It seems odd to me though that I cannot browse my WHS box through the network like a normal computer with shared folders on it.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    network neighbourhood is a strange and unreliable beast - it often does not work reliable. The client OS may play a role, the name resolution methods (network neighbourhood in XP still needs NetBIOS), in some OS also the workgroup. So as long as the shortcut to Shared folders on server works, it should be ok.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Autumn Walker said:

When I browse my network I do not see my WHS box listed as a computer and am therefore unable to browse the shared directories. It does, however, show up as an "other device" and when I double click on it I'm taken to the welcome.aspx page on the server.

I am able to browse the shares by right clicking on the WHS connector software in the tray and clicking "shared folders" or by clicking on the "shared folders" shortcut on the desktop.

It seems odd to me though that I cannot browse my WHS box through the network like a normal computer with shared folders on it.

What operating system are you running on the client? Windows 7 machines will exhibit this behavior and we currently have a bug open for this.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:54 PM