none
Session.CreateSession fails, even through everything seems setup fine... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

My first attempt to use SOA with HPC2012 R2 is not off to a great start... 8-( 

The test code is very simple: 

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Session ; 
    using Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Properties ;
    using System.ServiceModel; 

namespace ConsoleTest
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                const string scheduler = "headnode hostname";
                const string service = "EchoService";

SessionStartInfo info = new SessionStartInfo(scheduler, service);

Session session = Session.CreateSession(info);
                Console.WriteLine("Connected to {0}", session.EndpointReference.ToString()); 
            }
        }
    }

Compiles fine, throws this exception in CreateSession: 

An unhandled exception of type 'Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Session.SessionException' occurred in Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Session.dll

Additional information: Cannot find a broker node in the cluster that meets the session's requirements. Please check the documentation on how to configure a broker node. If you are using failover broker nodes and creating a DurableSession, please be sure one or more failover broker nodes are online

The head node is up, it's configured as a wcf broker node, it's running in that role, I can connect to it and submit regular non-SOA jobs, etc, etc. What are those "session's requirements" which are not being met? How can I find out more about what it's complaining about? 

Thanks

Damian

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

This is no longer an issue, after digging through some exceptions I found a clue to the problem... 

The scheduler was replying to the client by saying "here, connect to THIS wcf broker node". Unfortunately the THIS was not a fully qualified domain name, just the machine name.. Since the client was in a different domain, dns lookup failed... 

Would have been nice if the default exception message said that, haha... The above exception msg was useless... 

As soon as I added that machine to my hosts file, it started to work fine... 

Thanks

Damian

• Proposed as answer by Yongjun Tian (MSFT) Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by DamianRK Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:35 PM

All replies

• Ohh, I wrapped that in a try/catch, and the exception message was basically the same thing as above, so didn't provide any more info/data... 

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Session ; 
    using Microsoft.Hpc.Scheduler.Properties ;
    using System.ServiceModel; 

namespace ConsoleTest
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                const string scheduler = "host name";
                const string service = "EchoService";

SessionStartInfo info = new SessionStartInfo(scheduler, service);

try
                {
                    Session session = Session.CreateSession(info);
                    Console.WriteLine("Connected to {0}", session.EndpointReference.ToString()); 
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    string msg = e.Message;
                }
            }
        }
    }

• Edited by DamianRK Friday, March 27, 2015 5:53 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Hi, DamianRK,

You have update "scheduler" to your real hpc cluster name, right?

const string scheduler = "host name";

And can you check the broker node (head node) state, and whether it is already online

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:39 AM
  • Hi, 

This is no longer an issue, after digging through some exceptions I found a clue to the problem... 

The scheduler was replying to the client by saying "here, connect to THIS wcf broker node". Unfortunately the THIS was not a fully qualified domain name, just the machine name.. Since the client was in a different domain, dns lookup failed... 

Would have been nice if the default exception message said that, haha... The above exception msg was useless... 

As soon as I added that machine to my hosts file, it started to work fine... 

Thanks

Damian

• Proposed as answer by Yongjun Tian (MSFT) Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by DamianRK Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Changed the WCF service to just run as local system account instead of specifying it in the service panel.

Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:12 PM