OneCare problem: uninstalling RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Sorry this is a bit long but this is the 2nd time it has happened.
    Upon turning on my computer, My OneCare Icon does not show up and when I click on the link it indicates it has either been updated and needs restarted or has stopped.  So I tried that I follow the steps that it calls for making sure it is in the automatic activiation, etc.. Except when I get to the "uninstall" and reinstall the one care Live.  I cannot uninstall it at all.  I cannot now uninstall anything.
    I have spoken with Microsoft techies and they cannot seem to help me.  the first time(last year)I spent over 7 hours on the phone with microsoft and in the end they deleted my Entire computer, and had me re-load everything.  Needless to say I lost a lot of info even though a lot was backed up.   

At present I cannot access some windows "live" platform (notably my service providers email). 
    I cannot Unistall Windows as it does not do anything.  I tried Uninstalling another program. It does not do that.  Microsoft seems to say it is a computer issue (the first time they insisted it was a virus and we ran through the long task of checking it not once but twice), but I do not run a lot of things on my computer as I'm a real basic user and the only thing that starts the issue of nothing working is when the OneCare Icon does not show up and I try to make it work.

Has anyone run into this problem?? at present I would like to unistall LiveOne Care and reinstall another program completely.  I am done with the OneCare, and I've had it for less than 6 months.  I do not run any software other than brand spanking new stuff that I purchased.

any help is appreciated
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello splatt3, I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty with uninstalling One Care. Based on the information in your post I think you should continue to work with support rather than risk further complications with your computer. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:34 AM
  • I agree with Jim on working with support. However, you should be able to remove OneCare with the cleanup tool if you choose not to work with support.

I can't imagine what is happening to OneCare on your PC and why support needed you to completely format and restore the PC to factory condition. There has not been an update to OneCare in several months, so I suspect that your problem is perhaps due to another update that has failed to install properly, perhaps the recent .Net Framework 3.5 patch that was just deployed via Windows Update.

The OneCare cleanup tool can be found via this link.
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Thanks for all your help.  Nothing was working.  I ended up reformatting again.... and now I am running a completely different security software.  Just to note when I asked the store that I bought the computer and OneCare from why they are not selling it after june 09.  He indicated that it was due to all the problems they were having with it..... So I opted not to re-install.  Hopefully I will be okay longer than 2 months this time
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I'm sorry that you needed to reformat the PC and start over, but with the problems you encountered, it was a good choice to pursue.
    Note that the store is not selling OneCare after June because OneCare will not be available for sale or renewal some time during the 2nd half of 2009 - not because of problems,  but because Microsoft has made a decision to end OneCare as a product. See the announcement at the top of the forum for details.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:50 AM