How to connect Outlook and CRM 4 to two domains RRS feed

• Question

• We are using and ISP for our exchange server and we want to start using CRM 
    4.  (our ISP will not be offering the CRM option)  The question is how can we 
    connect Outlook to both our ISP exchange server domain and to our internal 
    CRM domain at the same time?

We would like to use Outlook for both e-mail and CRM entry.  Is this possible?

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Alan

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do, however I work for a hosted CRM provider and this scenario where we have a customer on a hosted exchange platform (seperate from our hosted exchange and CRM Platform) and they use just our CRM platform.

By installing the CRM Client on their outlook (which is already configured to their hosted exchange) and pointing it to the hosted CRM, they can send and recieve mails as normal and then run the track in CRM for new mails they recieve.

The only settings you need to change is on their CRM user profile to change both types of mail to (incoming and outgoing) to Microsoft CRM and their primary email address.  This has been tested and is currently working in a live environment.

The only downside is that teh user will not be able to send email from the web version of CRM as there is no built in SMTP service.  To work this around we have setup a SMTP relay on our hosted exchange platform that allows the relay of their email domain.

I hope this covers what you are trying to achieve

thanks

Allan

http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:57 AM

All replies

• yes, configure outlook to get emails from isp exchange

1. install outlook client to get local ms crm.

see ms crm implementation guide.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:39 AM
  • One of our installs is configured like that - Exchange Hosted, CRM on local domain it works fine, have also seen where both Exchange and CRM are hosted that works fine as well

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, I know this is an old post. However, I have a client with a hosted Exchange 2007 mailbox from one provider and a hosted Dynamics CRM 4.0 deployment from another provider (nothing in house). I have installed and configured the CRM e-mail router on one of my clients servers. The CRM e-mail router is able to load data from the hosted CRM server without issue.

The problem is with the incoming configuration profile. I've configured an incoming profile with a server location URL pointing to the front-end OWA server for the hosted Exchange provider and configured the access credentials using "Other specified" and supplying the end user's OWA user name and password. I'm hoping that the CRM e-mail router functions similarly to the configuration you would make on a Windows Mobile device for ActiveSync. Unfortunately, several different combinations of server URL and user name have all failed to connect to the target mailbox.

In short, is it possible to create a CRM e-mail router incoming configuration profile that can successfully connect to a hosted Exchange mailbox? If not, is using a POP3 connection profile a viable alternative?

This would be a huge shortcoming if Microsoft hasn't provided for this possibility as this requirement will be common place for many small businesses.

Thanks!

Alan

Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Hi Alan

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do, however I work for a hosted CRM provider and this scenario where we have a customer on a hosted exchange platform (seperate from our hosted exchange and CRM Platform) and they use just our CRM platform.

By installing the CRM Client on their outlook (which is already configured to their hosted exchange) and pointing it to the hosted CRM, they can send and recieve mails as normal and then run the track in CRM for new mails they recieve.

The only settings you need to change is on their CRM user profile to change both types of mail to (incoming and outgoing) to Microsoft CRM and their primary email address.  This has been tested and is currently working in a live environment.

The only downside is that teh user will not be able to send email from the web version of CRM as there is no built in SMTP service.  To work this around we have setup a SMTP relay on our hosted exchange platform that allows the relay of their email domain.

I hope this covers what you are trying to achieve

thanks

Allan

http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:57 AM