"ntldr is missing" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, i have a toshiba satellite a100 laptop and after a couple of days of not being used i start it up and it loads up the toshiba start screen with bios and startup options as usual, then instead of loading up windows xp (professional) start up screen i have a black screen with "ntldr is missing press ctrl alt del to turn off". 

I have tried booting from recovery console cd at startup and no matter what choice i make, be it "recovery of factory default software, recover to out-of-box state" or "erase the hard disk, delete all the data and partitions from your hard drive" it appears to start to "recover" but after a short time (approx 10%) i am presented with numerous errors ie. "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \device\harddiskvolume 1\program files\common\files\system\ado\msader15.dll. the data has been lost. try to save this file elsewhere, but ultimately i get "ERROR : 10F8060002 recovery error press ok to turn off computer" or "ERROR : 20FFFE0002 data deletion error please press ok to turn off computer" my computer was a demo (last one in shop) so it had windows xp pro already loaded on but the guys there didn't supply me with the cd for xp pro, i have the product key sticker on the bottom of my computer however, and i saw this in an article from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

You can obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks from Microsoft, but only by download. We provide the Setup boot disks so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM. If you can start your computer from a CD-ROM or from a network-based installation, we strongly recommend that you use those installation methods instead.

Future products will no longer support installation by using the Setup boot disks. Installation of future Microsoft operating systems will require the ability to start from the CD drive or by using PXE boot from the network. For more information about how to use PXE boot, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

And was wondering if there was any way of obtaining windows xp setup disk so i can bypass all this and just reinstall or fix xp because i'm not that fazed with losing all my data but it would be nice to keep it you know? :) i know a little about computers but if we could keep it lamens terms it would probably be for the best! Any info would be appreciated and if you need any specs or info i can only give what is on the bottom of computer or in bios
    Cheers guys
    Monday, January 31, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

All replies