The Trial Version... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Iv'e had the trial version active for abou 24 hours, and I LOVE the potential. I already ordered parts to build a permanent server... I wanted to know if I could continue to use the trial, then just update it with a valad key from the software that ill buy in the next few weeks, or ill I have to reformat all over again?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:27 AM

Answers

•  

This question has been asked numerous times on these forums, and unfortunately the answer is no. When you get the full version you need to perform a server reinstallation. This will preserve your data, but you will need to recreate your user accounts, repermission any folders and reinstall any add-ins.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:22 AM
  • How could it possibly not delete all my stuff? - it doesnt delete your stuff because you are choosing a special installation called SERVER REINSTALLATION. That reinstalls the OS but keeps the data partitions in tact and then rebuilds the data links from the data partitions.

It works with however many drives you have - you just have to make sure you select server reinstallation rather than new installation.

And ive heard working with files directly on the server causes corruption... - this is a known bug that Microsoft are working on. As long as you dont store AND edit your files directly on the server while this is being fixed you should be ok. Personally I am only using it for backup of my computers until the fix is released.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:33 AM

All replies

•  

This question has been asked numerous times on these forums, and unfortunately the answer is no. When you get the full version you need to perform a server reinstallation. This will preserve your data, but you will need to recreate your user accounts, repermission any folders and reinstall any add-ins.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:22 AM
  • So if I use it for a few weeks like a permanent install, all I have to do is reinstall WHS? All my data will be safe? Does that require 1 HD or 2.. .or even 3? How could it possibly not delete all my stuff?

And ive heard working with files directly on the server causes corruption... doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of having a server? I was planning on relocating my entire mydocs to be access on the server, effectively removing my need to do backups if I have the folder duplicated constantly... And it would be doable form all the PCs in the house, having 1 unified mydocs... I guess I should do that untillt he bugs are worked out?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:29 AM
  • How could it possibly not delete all my stuff? - it doesnt delete your stuff because you are choosing a special installation called SERVER REINSTALLATION. That reinstalls the OS but keeps the data partitions in tact and then rebuilds the data links from the data partitions.

It works with however many drives you have - you just have to make sure you select server reinstallation rather than new installation.

And ive heard working with files directly on the server causes corruption... - this is a known bug that Microsoft are working on. As long as you dont store AND edit your files directly on the server while this is being fixed you should be ok. Personally I am only using it for backup of my computers until the fix is released.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:33 AM
  • Hmmm Great info! Thank you!

So they know about it... How long has this been an issuie? Is there any sort of eta on a patch? Im guessing it will come down windows update someday? Does this effect custom systems with only 1 HD? I would imagine the corruption comes from the duplication process, and it hashing old over new or vice versa....

Also... What happens in the event the main OS drive crashes? Can it just be replaced and all is well? Is the data still on the other drives? Is the data even acessable from a noral PC if you pull the storage drives out?

Sorry about all the ?'s... youve been great! Community like this is what is making me buy new parts this week. I cant wait!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Hello
    I have had a little problem with this reinstallation option. I have a raid card that manages 6 drives, after rebooting, the installation program could not find the drivers as I used a USB flash drive instead of a floopy disk (known issue). So I had to go though the installation process again. The problem is that the re-installation option is no longer available...

Is there any way to complete the installation without loosing any data?

Thanks
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:51 PM
  • If no data was left on your d: partition, you can do a server installation without the other drives connected.  Once you get it installed with one hard drive, connect the other drives and don't add them to the storage pool.  Then one at a time, copy the files from those drives to the shares.  Once you got all your data from a drive, add it to the pool..
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Thank you Enchanter for your quick response.

Here is my actual setup:

1x HDD on IDE (80GB) with the c: and d: partitions

c:\ has the system partition (20GB)

d:\ is part of the storage pool (60GB)

6x HDD on promise RAID card (1.5TB). This array is integrated to the storage pool

Unfortunately I have not found a way to exclude the d:\ partition from the storage pool in order to use only the raid array as storage. I guess my data is spared between d:\ and the raid storage pool so I will not be able to retreive it if I plug the drives back after a new fresh intall, right?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:41 PM
  • If your other drives are unplugged during install, only your d:\ partition will be lost..  The others will retain the data in standard ntfs format and can be read by WHS or another operating system.  You'll have to not add them to the pool until you retrieve that data. 

Before you reinstall, download the addon "duplication info" it will show you what data is on your d: partition.  Thus you can copy it off of your server before you do the new installation.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  PittaOnzJ00 wrote:

Hmmm Great info! Thank you!

So they know about it... How long has this been an issuie? Is there any sort of eta on a patch? Im guessing it will come down windows update someday? Does this effect custom systems with only 1 HD? I would imagine the corruption comes from the duplication process, and it hashing old over new or vice versa....

Also... What happens in the event the main OS drive crashes? Can it just be replaced and all is well? Is the data still on the other drives? Is the data even acessable from a noral PC if you pull the storage drives out?

Sorry about all the ?'s... youve been great! Community like this is what is making me buy new parts this week. I cant wait!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:31 PM