home server smart add-inn RRS feed

• Question

• Installed it yesterday, works o.k., and it shows 2 hard disks (a seagate and a wd) both 1TB, as having bad sectors.
    Would you replace them by removing them from the pool?
    Disk management shows them as healthy.
    Which one should I believe?
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:58 PM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:01 PM

Answers

• Bad sectors are normal; pretty much every disk ships with some. As long as the number doesn't increase with time, it's unlikely you'll have any problems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Bad sectors are normal; pretty much every disk ships with some. As long as the number doesn't increase with time, it's unlikely you'll have any problems.
    I disagree, visible bad sectors after creation of the volume are not normal - they should have been mapped away before. You can try to remove the disk from pool and delete the volume on it with diskpart clean, after that integrate it again and keep an eye. As soon as you see the next damaged sector, the drive should be replaced, since it is not reliable any more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:49 PM
  • SMART normally reports the bad sectors that have already been mapped out. I assume that's what the OP means; if there are other bad sectors on the disk, chkdsk (which runs regularly) should be complaining, and the OP should have server health warnings because of the drives with the errors.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:27 AM

All replies

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:48 PM
    I disagree, visible bad sectors after creation of the volume are not normal - they should have been mapped away before. You can try to remove the disk from pool and delete the volume on it with diskpart clean, after that integrate it again and keep an eye. As soon as you see the next damaged sector, the drive should be replaced, since it is not reliable any more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:49 PM
  • SMART normally reports the bad sectors that have already been mapped out. I assume that's what the OP means; if there are other bad sectors on the disk, chkdsk (which runs regularly) should be complaining, and the OP should have server health warnings because of the drives with the errors.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Then, I guess I will have to wait and see if they increase with time.
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:57 AM