Windows Home Server ISO for Acer Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer Home Server (Aspire H340) and I want to do a clean, unmodified install of WHS. The Acer flavor just has too many issues for my liking.

So my question is this: Is there anywhere official I can get access to a vanilla flavor of the WHS ISO that would activate with the WHS Product Key provided with the Acer unit?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:35 PM

Answers

• If you can revert back to the original software (Factory Re-Install), you can use a driver backup to back up ALL drivers that are on that machine with a small program found here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83960-utility-driver-backup/

j

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Update: It seems the Acer Product Keys are valid for a standard Windows Home Server OEM install disk if you happen to have a friend with one.

Now I just have to sort out that pesky BSOD error after the restart during the install.

• Marked as answer by mhledwards Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:43 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:07 AM
  • You can swap drives that way, as long as you don't expect any other drives that were in the storage pool to be correctly detected and integrated when you do so.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:32 AM

All replies

• No. The Acer product key will only activate an Acer installation of Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:37 PM
  • Thanks for the fast reply, but that's unfortunate.

I really don't like how they've locked it down when it comes to remote desktop login, its really annoying.  Not to mention a McAfee which causes annoying issues in PP3 and only uninstalls violently.

I considered trying the Vail RC (or is it beta?) that's out, is that worth using instead?  Do you happen to know if it has an time-lock expiry, or will be purchasable as an OEM or standalone?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Update: It seems the Acer Product Keys are valid for a standard Windows Home Server OEM install disk if you happen to have a friend with one.

Now I just have to sort out that pesky BSOD error after the restart during the install.

• Marked as answer by mhledwards Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:43 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Hmm. It shouldn't be. 

The BSOD is probably due to missing storage drivers. Is it a 0x7B error?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:16 AM
  • It accepts the Product Key during installation, if I ever get it to fully boot in WHS, it may well not activate. I'll let you know what happens.

As to the BSOD, yes, its the 0x7B error and from my reader is as you said, drivers--the H340 needs ACHI SATA drivers as far as I understand.

I'm currently trying to slipstream them into the USB Boot Installer I've made, but I'm getting to the point where I know just enough to be dangerous.  I've selected the driver folder in nlite, and I've got a big list of driver permutations, and I'm not sure which I need.  Pretty sure I only need one AHCI and one RAID controller.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-Intel-Sata-Raid-drivers-t107504.html seems to have some advice for me, so I'm going to see what it has to say. But I'm open to anyone offering a cheat sheet.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Well, I can confirm that the WHS Product Key that came with the H340 does work with the stock OEM Windows Home Server install disk I used which was a ISO of the OEM pack you can buy.

As for the BSOD, my slipstream installer got me past the crash point, but ultimately the drivers wren't able to be located / installed during install (or it prompted me). I did them manually once it was  all said and done.  The only issue I have left is a ACPI device doesn't have a driver.  Do you know what that actually means, and how worried I should be about it?

I installed the Intel Chip driver, and the Intel Storage driver installers, but neither of those flagged it.  I'm pretty sure it just needs the istor or iaahci driver file, but when I tried to install manually it warned me it couldn't confirm the right one, so I left it.  Any thoughts? ... things seem to be working.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:55 AM
  • If you can revert back to the original software (Factory Re-Install), you can use a driver backup to back up ALL drivers that are on that machine with a small program found here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83960-utility-driver-backup/

j

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Thanks a5, I'll check that out. Might pullout the current system drive, drop second in, restore factory, then plunk the first one back in with the drivers handy.

I assume the Acer is like any computer and you can swap OS drives in this way if you're on the same hardware?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:45 PM
  • You can swap drives that way, as long as you don't expect any other drives that were in the storage pool to be correctly detected and integrated when you do so.

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Well, I got it all working. Everything is good except the blue"i" light fishes all the time and the HDD lights aren't on. But I think I can live with  that.

Thanks for the help ken and A5.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:52 AM