Vista won't validate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I built my last computer, I purchased XP Pro MCE, with a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium 32-bit.  I recently repartitioned my hard drive and installed Vista in a dual boot arrangement to see how well it worked before deciding, and did not validate it right away.  Several features (i.e. my TV tuner), do not work in Vista, thus I do not want to get rid of XP at this time.  However, I did want to keep Vista to become more familiar with it. 

When I tried to validate it gives me error message 0xC004F061 and states this licence can only be used for upgrading, not a clean installation.  My understanding was that I could only use it on the same machine (same CPU and motherboard), which I am trying to do.  This sounds correct, since I can only work in one OS at a time.

Can you help me with the validation issue?  If in fact I cannot validate Vista without totally loosing my XP MCE installation, can you please tell me how I can delete Vista until/unless they get more software/hardware support in the future and get back my Partition Magic Boot Manager which I had working in XP when I installed Vista?

Thanks,

Nick

Sunday, July 6, 2008 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hello MacroBrain

Software Licensing Terms for Vista Home Premium (section #13 http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Home%20Premium_English_d16c019b-fa71-4fc9-a51d-a0621bddb153.pdf )

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible

for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software

you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

To uninstalling Vista, you should just be able to format the Partition that Vista is residing, but that is not my area of knowledge and I suggest posting your question in one of the one of the Vista Newsgroups at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=42486 beforehand.

As for your questions regarding Partition Magic Boot Manager, again I suggest posting your question in one of the Vista NewGroups or contact the maker of Partition Magic.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 7, 2008 9:47 PM