WHS 2011 Clean Install on HP MediaSmart Server using Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have replaced the two disks in my MediaSmart EX470 and would like to install WHS 2011.  Note the two 1Tb disks are right out of the box, no partition allocation and no formatting.  The original HP installation software will not run on Windows 8.1, except maybe in an alternate OS mode which I'd rather not do.  I tried the HP disks as a result of the desperation described below.

When I put the installation DVD for WHS 2011 into the computer and reboot, the WHS 2011 only gives the option of cleaning the two drives in the host computer, not the MediaSmart!  Yes, the MediaSmart is powered and connected to the network.  I can see it in the device list in the router. 

There are two more DVDs in the WHS 2011 package:  Client Computer Restore (I'm leery of using it! Restore what?) and Preinstallation Disk for Microsoft System Builders only.  I don't know what either of these is used for.

Also, the HP "documentation" being what it is, into which two slots out of four should the two disks be inserted?  I believe, originally, the two 500 Gb drives were in the top two drawers, but I could be wrong.  Or does it not matter?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Turner

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

• To install WHS2011 on a PC, you need to boot the machine you want to install it on from the WHS2011 Installation disk (which is what you saw when you used it on your client machine) - it is not like a WHS1 installation from a client PC with a special disk provided by your system builder. You need to be able to interact with the machine you are installing on so it needs a graphics card which I don't believe your MediaSmart has or use one of the workarounds available by doing an internet search. Make sure your EX470 meets all of the other WHS2011 system requirements

The Client Computer restore disk does just that, when you have successfully installed WHS2011 and backed up a Client to the Server, you can boot a Client PC from the Client Restore DVD and it will do a "bare metal" restore from a backup on your server. This is useful for example when your Client PC has a HDD problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:35 PM

All replies

• To install WHS2011 on a PC, you need to boot the machine you want to install it on from the WHS2011 Installation disk (which is what you saw when you used it on your client machine) - it is not like a WHS1 installation from a client PC with a special disk provided by your system builder. You need to be able to interact with the machine you are installing on so it needs a graphics card which I don't believe your MediaSmart has or use one of the workarounds available by doing an internet search. Make sure your EX470 meets all of the other WHS2011 system requirements

The Client Computer restore disk does just that, when you have successfully installed WHS2011 and backed up a Client to the Server, you can boot a Client PC from the Client Restore DVD and it will do a "bare metal" restore from a backup on your server. This is useful for example when your Client PC has a HDD problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Thanks for working on Christmas Day!  I'll give the external SATA method a try tomorrow.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Turner

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:17 AM
  • If only it were work! Hope it all works out for you. Merry Christmas

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:38 AM