Remove unnecessary files RRS feed

• General discussion

• My defrag works great, the remove unnecessary files says it has an unknown problem and to contact the help center. Using XP Pro.

Since it's a known problem, I'm just using CCleaner. There, we now have a solution.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:13 PM

All replies

• Good solution for now. :-) Of course, once the error is no longer reported, you may still want to use ccleaner as it does remove a whole lot more as long as it is used wisely.

-steve

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Is there any estimate on how long it will take for the fix?

Also, after I'm shopping for some new car/stereo/computer toy, visiting tons of websites, I'd like to clean my system, but not do a full workup. It seems MS is into simplicity, but I'd like to get a button just to do a rapid clean and not defrag etc.

How do I get my point to someone who can evaluate my wish?

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  xoted1 wrote:
    Is there any estimate on how long it will take for the fix?

Also, after I'm shopping for some new car/stereo/computer toy, visiting tons of websites, I'd like to clean my system, but not do a full workup. It seems MS is into simplicity, but I'd like to get a button just to do a rapid clean and not defrag etc.

Posting here is one way to make a suggstion. Another is to file a "bug" on Connect and mark it as a suggestion, explaining exactly what you would like to see. 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

As to when the cleanup error during tune-up issue will be fixed, I don't know. It has been reported and it is under investigation. I don't know if the specifics of the error are known and if a fix is being developed yet.

-steve

Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:14 AM
  • What's CCleaner?

Sunday, September 9, 2007 10:32 PM
  • Live search it, it's another cleaner.

Monday, September 10, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  xoted1 wrote:
    Is there any estimate on how long it will take for the fix?

If you're simply browsing the only cleaning required should relate to the Internet Explorer browser, so the 'Delete Browsing History' selection under tools in IE 7 should do exactly what you're requesting.

The Remove Unnecessary files selection will also clean temporary file areas other than the IE Temporary Internet files, so it really doesn't apply for the situation you're describing.

OneCareBear

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:19 AM