none
Vista Validation problem following Hard Drive change

Question

• Hi,

My daughters laptop (Acer Emachines E520) suffered a Hard Drive problem recently and luckily managed to save all of her work to a USB Drive.  I also used a 3rd party utility to recover the Product codes for Vista Home Basic.

The Hard drive failed within a few hours of that and although our IT guys had a look, it was totalled unusable and unable to be read.  Bought a replacement drive, installed Windows Vista from a DVD and all was good.

Went to activate Vista and I get an error box stating that the product key I typed in is invalid for activation.

It gives me the option of buying a new key online, type a different product key or to contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem.

I try the contact Microsft option as I know that a hardware change can cause these problems.  Here is where the problem lies as I keep being looped around and around the website.

Does anyone know what the telephone number is for Microsoft Activation Line here in the UK ??

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:45 PM

Answers

• "theaton56" wrote in message news:cc6e6e71-c552-495a-8452-6cd5d94f9bf0...

Just spotted the fact that I do have a product ID !  Have entered that in the support option, and this is the response I received..

The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected. Enter another product ID number or select a different support option below.

Confused now, the laptop was bought in the UK from a major UK store, the "manufacturer" has a support centre here in the UK and it is telling me that it's not supported ??

Weird....

It'll make little difference, I'm afraid...

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

<quote>

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

</quote>

You would need in any case to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker, and then activate by telephone.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:30 PM

• You would need in any case to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker, and then activate by telephone.
    --

Just in case you missed it, I wanted to point out that the last sentence in Noel's post should resolve your issue without having to contact phone support

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:25 PM

All replies

• "theaton56" wrote in message news:f53e7bb1-ae4c-4c1f-977b-2224d54afd10...

Hi,

My daughters laptop (Acer Emachines E520) suffered a Hard Drive problem recently and luckily managed to save all of her work to a USB Drive.  I also used a 3rd party utility to recover the Product codes for Vista Home Basic.

The Hard drive failed within a few hours of that and although our IT guys had a look, it was totalled unusable and unable to be read.  Bought a replacement drive, installed Windows Vista from a DVD and all was good.

Went to activate Vista and I get an error box stating that the product key I typed in is invalid for activation.

It gives me the option of buying a new key online, type a different product key or to contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem.

I try the contact Microsft option as I know that a hardware change can cause these problems.  Here is where the problem lies as I keep being looped around and around the website.

Does anyone know what the telephone number is for Microsoft Activation Line here in the UK ??

Thanks in advance,

Tony

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    I suspect that your problem is that you have reinstalled using a Retail disk, and the OEM_SLP Key, which cannot be activated.
    You should change the Key to the one on the laptop's COA sticker, and then activate by telephone.

--

Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6HVMF-TTJ34-P92J4
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7KRyNvkpDG8G18qCc8dsDeUtcCg=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7332166-00042
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002
    ID: {92208C49-B9C1-43C3-8C31-195A57C96119}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{92208C49-B9C1-43C3-8C31-195A57C96119}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P92J4</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7332166-00042</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3460990074-2985755394-4274330068</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>eMachines </Manufacturer><Model>E520            </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>eMachines</Manufacturer><Version>V1.06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20081113000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7A313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>GATEWA</OEMID><OEMTableID>SYSTEM  </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6002.18005
    Name: Windows(TM) Vista, HomeBasic edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: 199086aa-6cb8-4e5b-b698-f2be56f1e8ee
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 89572-00146-321-600042-02-2057-6002.0000-1902011
    Installation ID: 001515679483216120635576695986128706385003139126339223
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43473
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43474
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43476
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43475
    Partial Product Key: P92J4
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 42000 minute(s) (29 day(s))

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAEAAgABAAIAAQABAAAAAwABAAEAJJSS9Lj9uIp6f0zSPCmWrvL0RogYSk7NrFZgYw==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      FACP   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      HPET   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      BOOT   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      MCFG   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      ASF!   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      SLIC   GATEWA  SYSTEM 
      SSDT   PmRef  Cpu0Cst
      SSDT   PmRef  Cpu0Cst

Okay, thati s what the system threw back at me.

As I said, the hard drive crashed, was replaced, Vista reinstalled and I used to Product Code that I extracted from the registry prior to the drive failing.  As is typical with laptoops, the COA is on the bottom of the laptop and with time it has faded completely and i am totally reliant on using the code extracted.

If I try using the find a phone number it doesn't work for me. 

I follow the instructions to activate, get an error code of 0xC004E003.  I try to follow the "Contact Microsoft by phone", that pulls up the Windows help box and that takes me round to another area.  Eventually it tellsme that i dont have a product ID. (because there is a problem with the product code)

Any help is appreciated,

Tony

Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Just spotted the fact that I do have a product ID !  Have entered that in the support option, and this is the response I received..

The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected. Enter another product ID number or select a different support option below.

Confused now, the laptop was bought in the UK from a major UK store, the "manufacturer" has a support centre here in the UK and it is telling me that it's not supported ??

Weird....

Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:51 AM
  • "theaton56" wrote in message news:cc6e6e71-c552-495a-8452-6cd5d94f9bf0...

Just spotted the fact that I do have a product ID !  Have entered that in the support option, and this is the response I received..

Weird....

It'll make little difference, I'm afraid...

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

<quote>

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

</quote>

You would need in any case to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker, and then activate by telephone.
    --

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:30 PM

• You would need in any case to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker, and then activate by telephone.
    --

Just in case you missed it, I wanted to point out that the last sentence in Noel's post should resolve your issue without having to contact phone support

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:25 PM