Xbox 360 Media Center Extender Unable to Browse WHS 2011 Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I have apparently encountered a permissions issue between my WMC7 box and my WHS 2011 box.

My Media Center Extender clients cannot access shares on Windows Home Server 2011.  From any Xbox 360 running Media Center Extender, when I attempt to browse the server to add folders to my Libraries, Media Center says that no shared folders are available.  Of course, if I log into the WMC7 PC directly and run WMC as a user, all is well; it's only the extender accounts that now seem to be unable to connect to the server.

By way of background, for various reasons I've had to remove and reconnect this particular PC from WHS.  Things were working correctly originally; my sense is that the permissions "broke" somehow after the PC was removed and reconnected to the server.

Looking at Local Users and Groups on the server appears to show the correct accounts set up for this machine.  (The PC is called "Atlas" and the server shows the accounts 'ATLAS$' and 'Mc-ATLAS'.)  I've checked the folder-level permissions on the server and it appears that permissions for the extender client ('Mc-ATLAS') are in fact being set on my media shares. 

At this point I'm a bit baffled.  Any other thoughts on how to tackle this?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• Problem solved... via a complete wipe and reinstall of WHS 2011.  :-(

My working theory now is that this is related to briefly enabling HomeGroup on the server.  Even though I subsequently removed the server from the HomeGroup, the issues with my Media Center Extenders began after this.  I had thought the issue was related to diconnecting and reconnecting the WMC machine, but I subsquently learned that ALL the client machines on my network were exhibiting the same behavior (if I set them up as a WMC box for use with Extenders), so the problem had to be something affecting the server and all clients universally.  I realized what the issue likely was (brief HomeGroup connection) after spending 2 days messing with the problem.  Only solution was reinstalling WHS from scratch.

As for HomeGroups in WHS 2011.... (edited for taste).

• Marked as answer by Gary Voth Friday, March 9, 2012 2:15 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• On the client PC go to Windows Media Center click on Tasks > Settings > Media Libraries and set up each of

the media libraries to point to the WHS media shares.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gary Voth Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.  I know how to add network folders to a Media Library in Windows Media Center.

The issue is that I am unable to browse to the WHS shares from the extender, with the error: "no shared folders are available".

It seems likely this is a permissions problem in how the Media Center integration has been set up between the two machines. 

My own investigation shows the proper MCE user accounts set up on the serer, with the correct permissions.  So I am hoping someone has some fresh ideas before I wipe and reinstall Windows on the media center box.

• Edited by Gary Voth Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Problem solved... via a complete wipe and reinstall of WHS 2011.  :-(

My working theory now is that this is related to briefly enabling HomeGroup on the server.  Even though I subsequently removed the server from the HomeGroup, the issues with my Media Center Extenders began after this.  I had thought the issue was related to diconnecting and reconnecting the WMC machine, but I subsquently learned that ALL the client machines on my network were exhibiting the same behavior (if I set them up as a WMC box for use with Extenders), so the problem had to be something affecting the server and all clients universally.  I realized what the issue likely was (brief HomeGroup connection) after spending 2 days messing with the problem.  Only solution was reinstalling WHS from scratch.

As for HomeGroups in WHS 2011.... (edited for taste).

• Marked as answer by Gary Voth Friday, March 9, 2012 2:15 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 2:15 PM