Files Automatically Excluded by WOC? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greetings:

Please advise why the following files are repeatedly relisted in WOC Settings

Exclude files and folders from monitoring and scans:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\Database\

I cannot see the remaining identifiers for the files because I am unable to resize the WOC window - they are listed above exactly as shown on my computer.  The exclusions apparently were entered upon allowing WOC to update and

automatically "Reset Permissions"

After removing the excluded files, they are relisted upon reboot.

Thank you

Regards,

DA

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• I noticed these exclusions some time ago because I was working on a problem (Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1056853449) in the Quarantine, right “next door” to Exclusions. Because I was recovering from a massive malware attack I wanted to confirm that these automatic exclusions were legit, which I suspected they were since they appeared immediately after a reboot update.

Tech Support first confirmed that these exclusions were indeed legitimate:

“Greg, thank you for your feedback. After checking this setting in our machines, I found these folders are only excluded in the latest OneCare v2.0.2500.22. In OneCare v2.0.2500.14 and previous versions, these folders are not excluded. Therefore, I have reported it to our product team and please be assured that I will let you know the result in the next couple of days. Thank you for your understanding and patience.”

They then promptly reported this result:

“Greg, I appreciate your continued time on this service request. Regarding the three folder in Exclusion list, this is by design in the latest version of OneCare. Here is the explanation from our OneCare product team.

1. We have excluded the following databases to improve the performance of OneCare.

a. OC Jet Database

b. Search indexer database.

It was identified that for every Read/Write, these folders were getting scanned resulting in large CPU usage.”

When I was asked for comments by a Tech Lead, I told her that I thought it was a bad idea to dump these automatic exclusions into the user interface, where the user assumes he has complete control, and where the window has always been empty by default. I insisted that, at the very least, customers (and Tech Support) should be notified about something like this. Hope this helps.  GreginMich

Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:46 PM

All replies

• I noticed these exclusions some time ago because I was working on a problem (Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1056853449) in the Quarantine, right “next door” to Exclusions. Because I was recovering from a massive malware attack I wanted to confirm that these automatic exclusions were legit, which I suspected they were since they appeared immediately after a reboot update.

Tech Support first confirmed that these exclusions were indeed legitimate:

“Greg, thank you for your feedback. After checking this setting in our machines, I found these folders are only excluded in the latest OneCare v2.0.2500.22. In OneCare v2.0.2500.14 and previous versions, these folders are not excluded. Therefore, I have reported it to our product team and please be assured that I will let you know the result in the next couple of days. Thank you for your understanding and patience.”

They then promptly reported this result:

“Greg, I appreciate your continued time on this service request. Regarding the three folder in Exclusion list, this is by design in the latest version of OneCare. Here is the explanation from our OneCare product team.

1. We have excluded the following databases to improve the performance of OneCare.

a. OC Jet Database

b. Search indexer database.

It was identified that for every Read/Write, these folders were getting scanned resulting in large CPU usage.”

When I was asked for comments by a Tech Lead, I told her that I thought it was a bad idea to dump these automatic exclusions into the user interface, where the user assumes he has complete control, and where the window has always been empty by default. I insisted that, at the very least, customers (and Tech Support) should be notified about something like this. Hope this helps.  GreginMich

Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Thank you GreginMich

Regards,
    DA

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:20 PM