none
Money Plus Premium password won't work after installing on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago, I installed Money Premium (2007) on a new computer running Windows 8.1. It seemed to work fine. However, I did not use the computer for several months. When I shut down the computer after that long period away, there were several updates installed. The next time I went to open Money Plus, my password was denied. Nothing seems to work.

I read something about an "ownership" problem and I tried to follow that suggestion but could not find Money in the system32 folder where I was told it would be. I am comfortable with a computer and not afraid to walk through things but a simple explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:51 AM

All replies

• The default location for Microsoft Money is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money. If your data file is at that location, move it to your Documents area.

Leaving the data file at the default would not give access problems: just that any changes made would not be saved.

If your password is rejected and you are using a simple password you have misremembered the password. If you are using a Windows Live ID and have changed your Live ID password, disconnect from the internet and use the Live ID password in force at the last time you accessed the Money data file.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:31 AM
  • If you had put your Money file within Programs Files, the modified file may be in the Virtual Store.

In a command window, you could try this command:

dir %USERPROFILE%"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\*.mny" /s

Or you could browse with File Explorer into %USERPROFILE%"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

Once you find it, you could move this into a good place. Open Money by right-clicking the *.mny file, and thereafter Money will remember where it is.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:36 PM
  • So what if the last time I used Live to access the Money file was 12 years ago and I don't remember the Live ID password from 12 years ago? Suggestions?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:25 AM
  • You will need to remember the password or the data will be inaccessible. Money passwords cannot be bypassed.

12 years ago you may have been using a Microsoft Passport - an older version of what is now a Windows Live ID.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:37 AM
  • So what if the last time I used Live to access the Money file was 12 years ago and I don't remember the Live ID password from 12 years ago? Suggestions?

Try restoring your newest or second-newest backup file (*.mbf). If you choose a new filename for the restored file, it will not overwrite your current *.mny file.

Keeping an extra copy of your *.mny and *.mbf files on different media is good insurance against disk failure or accidentally deleting something.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:20 PM