none
MCPD Harware/Software requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my skills to MCPD. Being more of a hands on person I prefer to have my own hardware,software and learning material for the job. If someone could help me chose the right hardware/software combination it would be very helpfull.

It would be nice if Microsoft offered an all in one learning kit, both hardware and software, but do not think that is the case which means I need to make some purchases I believe.

In regards to hardware, can the entire MCPD program be learned on a single PC or is it best to also have a Microsoft server like Server 2008 as well?

Perhaps a single PC with virtualization could do the JOB? Or Single WIn7(Which version?) PC with visual studio 2010 and SQL Server is all I need? Wich means I only need a license for VS2010(Which version?)  and SQL Server(Which version?) ?

What is your optimal setup for home study? And What do I need to license?

• Edited by Pierre Bois Friday, September 23, 2011 12:04 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think I didn't understand your question fully. If you want to take an MCPD exam you'll need some MCTS exams before. Have a look at the following site - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

When I'm preparing for an exam I have no special hardware (just my normal pc) and the required software for this exam (for example Visual Studio Ultimate, but the Express version will also do the job). If you need some books just search for Microsoft Press Training Kit books. Otherwise MSDN is a good starting point.

If you want to take MCITP exams I would recommend some kind of virtualization, so you can play around without resetting your whole system.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by Pierre Bois Friday, September 23, 2011 1:13 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:44 PM
    Answerer