none
Validation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to reinstall xp from a disc that belongs to another computer. The computer I am installing to has a legitimate product no, but there seems to be a conflict because the disc info and the computers info don't match?
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:50 AM

Answers

• "Stephen Altman" wrote in message news:f55afab7-66b8-4645-b125-e7bca6f412d8...
    I have had to reinstall xp from a disc that belongs to another computer. The computer I am installing to has a legitimate product no, but there seems to be a conflict because the disc info and the computers info don't match?

You can’t do that – most XP Recovery disks are locked to the computer they came with.
    You need to install using the proper manufacturer’s recovery disks, or an OEM System Builder disk.
    Note also that if the machine came with SP3 pre-installed, that some SP3 Keys will not install into earlier SP levels of XP, as a new set of Keys was released for SP3, which are not valid on earlier SPs.

If you have an XP SP3 Retail disk, you can install that using the default Key, then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Unfortunately, you cannot use that OEM Windows XP disc to install Windows XP on a different computer.  It belongs solely to the computer it originally came with.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:31 PM

All replies

• "Stephen Altman" wrote in message news:f55afab7-66b8-4645-b125-e7bca6f412d8...
    I have had to reinstall xp from a disc that belongs to another computer. The computer I am installing to has a legitimate product no, but there seems to be a conflict because the disc info and the computers info don't match?

You can’t do that – most XP Recovery disks are locked to the computer they came with.
    You need to install using the proper manufacturer’s recovery disks, or an OEM System Builder disk.
    Note also that if the machine came with SP3 pre-installed, that some SP3 Keys will not install into earlier SP levels of XP, as a new set of Keys was released for SP3, which are not valid on earlier SPs.

If you have an XP SP3 Retail disk, you can install that using the default Key, then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to the one on your COA sticker.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Unfortunately, you cannot use that OEM Windows XP disc to install Windows XP on a different computer.  It belongs solely to the computer it originally came with.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:31 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:776fa05b-2a2b-4a56-81d3-ab22728a8633...
    Unfortunately, you cannot use that OEM Windows XP disc to install Windows XP on a different computer.  It belongs solely to the computer it originally came with.
    Carey Frisch

there’s that echo again!

Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:47 PM