Re-activating after server re-installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm a WHS noob, but generally know what I'm doing with computers and servers.

I installed WHS 180 day evaluation last week - all went OK.  Then two days ago, I got the old 'SYS drive is failing' error.  It advised me to Repair the disk, which I did.  After doing the repair, I rebooted the server but it wouldn't boot up again.  After the server went through POST, I got a black screen.

Anyway, I looked through these forums and decided to try a Server Re-installation from the DVD.  It seemed to go OK, and miraculously, the SYS drive seems healthy again (for how long, who knows, but I did take the server off my UPS which may or may not help). 

I then got prompted to activate WHS.  I'd done this already when I installed WHS orignally.  When I try to activate, the activation tells me that the product key has already been activated, and I need to provide a new key.

Surely a server re-install is quite a common scenario - why do I need a new key?  How can I get a new key?  Do I have to send for (and pay for) another 180-day eval copy of WHS?

I really want to like WHS, but it's not making it very easy - it's been one thing after another with it so far...

MTIA.
    Ferps
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:55 PM

All replies

• I guess you're talking about the 120 day evaluation version.

Yes you will need a new key. Just use "phone activation" I'm 99% sure MS will provide a new key.

And yes there's still a few issues. That's one of the disadvantages of early adopters

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Thank you - I will give it a try.  I had assumed they wouldn't give me a new product key, only give me the big long activation key.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:21 PM
  •  ferpferp wrote:
    Thank you - I will give it a try.  I had assumed they wouldn't give me a new product key, only give me the big long activation key.
    You're right.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:27 PM
  •  brubber wrote:

You're right.

Do you mean that they will only give me the activation code, not the product key?

Activation actually prompts me to enter a new product key before I can activate.  Thoughts?
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Do server reinstall WITHOUT entering the key. After that you will have 30 days to activate. During these days you can use the server. You are reminded regularly from the tray icon, and there's also an activate windows shortcut on Start, All programs menu. If you choose the activate there is button "Telephone" at the bottom of the activation screen. Please use that one. Right now I'm getting somewhat confused, not sure if they will supply new key or just the activation string. Just call and you'll find out.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:06 PM