Incorporating Multiple Folders in a Single Pairing RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to select multiple folders on the hard drive to place in the left folder of the synchronisation tool, within a single pairing? This would avoid having to select the parent folder that contains a large volume of unneccessary content.
    I wanted to create a single job that copies several folders (documents, contacts, and downloads) from my user folder. I selected the first folder when in the SyncToy screen (left folder), but was not able to select additional folders after the first folder had been selected, without creating an additional pairing. Creating multiple pairings for copying key folders to my external hard drive may cause problems in future - for example, if I want to create a pairing of the same folders to a second external hard drive for additional peace of mind.
    Secondly, please could you confirm that check file contents refers to the software verifying that the information written to the right hand folder (in echo mode) is the same as the content in the left hand folder.
    With thanks,
    Maurice 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hi -

One way of putting multiple folders under the same left-side of the folder would be to select a top-level folder that contains all these different folders. You can then use the include/exclude subfolders to only select those folders that you want to sync.

And to reiterate what Ann says - the Check File Contents option is just used by SyncToy to figure out what files have changed from the pervious sync ( not just going by Last Write Time). We do not use it to confirm that the files we have copied to the right side are identical to the left side.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hey,

Currently, SyncToy doesn't support selecting multiple folders as either the "left folder" or the "right folder" of a folder pair.

When running with “check file contents” selected, SyncToy will perform a SHA1 hash against all files. This hash, which is mathematically guaranteed to produce a unique value for the file's content, is used to compare files when determining whether files on both sides of the folder pair are already in sync. Selecting this option will make a SyncToy preview or run take longer, but provides a guarantee that SyncToy will never conclude that two files with the same name, size and date are identical when in fact their contents are different.

Thanks,
    Ann Tang
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Hi -

One way of putting multiple folders under the same left-side of the folder would be to select a top-level folder that contains all these different folders. You can then use the include/exclude subfolders to only select those folders that you want to sync.

And to reiterate what Ann says - the Check File Contents option is just used by SyncToy to figure out what files have changed from the pervious sync ( not just going by Last Write Time). We do not use it to confirm that the files we have copied to the right side are identical to the left side.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Deepa and Ann,
    Thank you for clarifying the position, and offering your advice on targetting selected folders. The tool works well, and so the following suggestions relate to making the tool easier for less IT literate users to use in future versions.
    In the next version of SyncToy I think another useful addition would be to have SyncToy linked to the submenu that appears when folders are left clicked in Windows Explorer. Ideally one could select multiple folders using the control key and mouse, and then left click the highlighted folders within Windows Explorer to produce the submenu. On the submenu, clicking the 'send to' command would produce sibling fields that included 'SyncToy pairing'. If 'SyncToy pairing' is selected the SyncToy screen opens with the left folder details filled with the folders selected within Windows Explorer. All the user then needs to do is select the right hand folder location, and then run the synchronisation tool. 
    Alternatively, it would be useful to have a browse to folder option at the side of each include/ exclude subfolders box. It would be helpful, if after inserting the first folder, the option was given to add additional folders to the include/ exclude subfolders box. This would help to ensure less IT literate users are able to ensure they select the correct folder path, rather than having to write content into the box. I also think offering the option to link additional folders within a single folder pairing would also be useful in the first screen, as indicated in my previous e-mail.

I think functionality that enabled the software to compare the contents of the copied folder and original data, to ensure original content had been exactly replicated would be an additional useful feature, which would provide users with additional peace of mind - especially when copying content to less reliable media such as DVD.

Thank you for your useful advice.
    Hope these suggestions help.
    Best wishes,
    Maurice
    • Edited by Maurice S Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:56 AM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:40 PM