Using Windows Home Server with an Audio system RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to play stored music (mp3 mostly, but also some WMA or WAV as well) on Windows Home Server on a stereo system.  To do so, I assume I would need a receiver that is ethenet equipped in order to access the home LAN (which is wireless).  Does that mean I need a wireless access point to connect to my receiver ethernet connection and my wireless router?  Should this wireless network be 802.11 n to to permit this?  How does Windows Home Server work with the receiver, or is this even possible?  Do I simply push the data to the receiver and it will simply play, just like any other device like a DVD player CD player, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Doug
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• I would like to be able to play stored music (mp3 mostly, but also some WMA or WAV as well) on Windows Home Server on a stereo system.  To do so, I assume I would need a receiver that is ethenet equipped in order to access the home LAN (which is wireless).  Does that mean I need a wireless access point to connect to my receiver ethernet connection and my wireless router?

You would need an ethernet bridge (such as this one).

Should this wireless network be 802.11 n to to permit this?

N gives you more local bandwidth as well as a greater broadcast range.  However, audio uses virtually no bandwidth at all.  So unless your receiver is REALLY far away from your router, I highly doubt you need N (G should suffice).

How does Windows Home Server work with the receiver, or is this even possible?

As long as your receiver can see standard Windows network shares (or pick up media streamed from Windows Media Connect 2.0, which is what WHS uses), yes it's possible.  I personally use an XBox 360 (which receives not only music, but photos and videos as well, plus it has the added benefit of being a video game console  :)  ).

Do I simply push the data to the receiver and it will simply play, just like any other device like a DVD player CD player, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Doug
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by skidub Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:59 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:54 PM