Trying to mass update records in subgrid RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Dynamics on premise 2016 and one field in my associated products for an order was originally set as a number field, however now it needs to change to a text field. I've added a new text field and was hoping to export the list out (which worked fine) and reimport the changes when I copy/paste the old data into the new field. Problem is, there's no import feature when looking at the Associated Products sub grid. Any hints to make this work, or instead, anyway to change the field from a number value to a text value? Either way is fine with me..

• Edited by Jwindsor Friday, August 12, 2016 10:49 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:55 PM

Answers

• Basically, you want to move the data from old number field to new text type field. There are three possible ways you can use to accomplish this,

·         As you suggest by re-importing, in CRM 2016 update 1 the Sale Order lines got renamed to Sales Contract lines. You could do advanced find for order product lines (Sales Contract lines) and can export record into excel and then you could re-import it by making changes in excel for new field.

·         Second option is using workflow or plugin, trigger a plugin/workflow on all your exiting lines to copy data from old field to new field. You need to write a code to copy data from old field to new field.

·         Third option is using SSIS tool, you could use SSIS tool to copy data from old field to new field.

Thanks,

Sam

Inogic | Blog | news@inogic.com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Jwindsor Monday, August 22, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:56 AM