Money plus home & Business automatic stock quote updating. RRS feed

• Question

• As prompted, downloaded the money plus V17 to replace my money 2007 deluxe.  Duly signed up/ registered for a Windows Live ID which has been verified.  When I open money\ file\ password manager and follow the instructions entering my ID and password to intergrate with Windows Live- a message appears "unable to verify try again later"    I want have the programme udate my portfolio stock quotes automatically as before with my as mentioned previous version.  Hoping you can help me with this.  I have downloaded "Firelight", my operating system is XP home edition
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:25 AM

All replies

• As prompted, downloaded the money plus V17 to replace my money 2007 deluxe.  Duly signed up/ registered for a Windows Live ID which has been verified.  When I open money\ file\ password manager and follow the instructions entering my ID and password to intergrate with Windows Live- a message appears "unable to verify try again later"    I want have the programme udate my portfolio stock quotes automatically as before with my as mentioned previous version.  Hoping you can help me with this.  I have downloaded "Firelight", my operating system is XP home edition

You have been getting flawed advice. Unless you were reinstalling, there was probably not necessary to replace Money 2007. It was important to keep the Money Plus Sunset installation file for later installs. Money Plus Sunset will not download quotes on its own. That feature may still be working on Money 2007, but expect it to go away. I had it expected that to be gone. It is nice that it works longer than expected.

Remove the Live ID from your Money file now. Don't lose or overwrite your *.mbf files that were made  before you added your LiveID

"Firelight"? Maybe you mean Silverlight. Microsoft Money does not require that. http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/portfolio-manager/portfolio.aspx? does.

Read more. http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx  http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ as well as many posts on this forum, including the sticky post about Live ID, will provide you some useful information.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:04 PM
  • The prompts I mentioned and followed were microsoft "pop-ups" that appeared each time I opened my money 2007.  All the instructions that I followed were therein.   I must say I feel unhappy about this.  The reason I bought Money 2007 in the first place was mainly for the purpose of managing my portfolio-  It seems now because I followed microsofts leads/prompts I have lost that facility.  Not withstanding that I cannot evidentally convert my data to the original format and reload my 2007 deluxe programme.   Surely, there must be a way of overcoming this.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:56 AM
  • This? Are you asking how to return to Money 2007? When you converted, Money Plus left a file on your computer named *.m16 with the first part of the name unchanged. I don't know if your Money 2007 disk will let you reinstall Money 2007 on its own or not. If you want to try, you could locate the *.m16 file. Copy that to hiwamraw07.mny. You would loose any changes you made after your conversion. Uninstall Money Plus Sunset, and install Money 2007. With Money 2007, open hiwamraw07.mny with the internet disconnected. Remove the LiveID after logging in offline. Money 2007 may continue to work with some ability beyond Money Plus Sunset for a period of time, or the quote servers etc may stop the next day. I would not respond to notice that your FI has updated its offering. Now your FI could stop providing connection soon anyway, but you would have some amount of time for downloads. Most brokers I am familiar with provide quotes in the incoming OFX files.

If that does not go as hoped, reinstall Money Plus Sunset. If converting back to sunset, it is best to disable all accounts for online access before converting. Still disconnect from the internet and remove your live ID. If/when Money 2007 or Money Plus are not getting direct OFX updates or/nor quotes, use PocketSense to give you those functions. Search for "PocketSense" on this forum. Money Portfolio will then not serve as a good way to tell how your investments are doing in the last day. But it will still be really good at telling you how things are doing in the last week, 4 weeks, and longer. Money 2007 or Plus will still have your transactions and will generate your schedule D. Yes, there will be some extra steps. For short term, you will use the tools from your broker, or maybe use an additional tool such as http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/portfolio-manager/portfolio.aspx?  Microsoft Money can handle your longer term data, and something else will handle your intra-day needs.

Money Plus Sunset does have some advantages over 2007. It has a feature called Insights. It fixed the Spinoff function. It lets you back up to USB flash drives with more than 2GB free. It honors the setting for the  number of scheduled backups.

Again, remove the LiveID from your Money regardless. See the sticky thread regarding that.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:19 AM