none
VB6 support for azure RRS feed

All replies

• I doubt VB6 applications can be hosted on Azure especially when it comes to authentication which is done via the Azure graph api which is restful using json. It may be possible to connection to an azure database via a proper connection.

No matter, when you created this question there was a paragraph indicating that this forum is solely for vb.net. With that said, please use a vb6 forum such as the following.

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Friday, September 8, 2017 7:00 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:11 PM
  • Hi Dja , 

Azure does not support vb6 at all , why still use vb6 when you have all this fancy technologies out :D ? 

If you want something that works with azure take something modern. 

My advice is as follows :

1.you migrate your project to vb.net (create asp.net app) so you can host it on azure. 

Or 

this could also be solution ! 

2.Host  your sql database and only have to change te connection string in your vb6 app. 

Here is a quick overview of azure 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/app-service-web-get-started-dotnet

Kind regards

Laurens

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:02 PM
  • If you wanted to run your VB 6 app from the cloud I would suspect you would use a Citrix on Azure solution. There is no integration otherwise and no development tools for Azure since the VB 6 development environment is no longer supported by Microsoft.

https://www.citrix.com/global-partners/microsoft/azure.html

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Hi Dja , 

Azure does not support vb6 at all , why still use vb6 when you have all this fancy technologies out :D ? 

I would have thought the answer to that was obvious, as the poster says "We have an application in VB6 running in desktop. "

Who wants to rewrite working software?  It isn't practical to migrate VB6 to VB.Net.  And rewriting to a different language takes time and resources.

2.Host  your sql database and only have to change te connection string in your vb6 app. 

A better approach, but there are issues. Security Guidelines

I'd suggest asking here VB Forums

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support StatementVB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hi Dja , 

I would have thought the answer to that was obvious, as the poster says "We have an application in VB6 running in desktop. "

Who wants to rewrite working software?  It isn't practical to migrate VB6 to VB.Net.  And rewriting to a different language takes time and resources.

A better approach, but there are issues. Security Guidelines

I'd suggest asking here VB Forums

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support StatementVB6 Programming IDE Installer)

@VB6 Programming

i lolled at your comment because what you're saying is really bad advice...

"Who wants to rewrite working software?  It isn't practical to migrate VB6 to VB.Net.  And rewriting to a different language takes time and resources."

What kind of developer is going to use vb6 anno 2017... 

its not 2000 anymore. Microsoft have way more advanced frameworks. 

If your application is using a +20 year old technology then maybe it's time to migrate to an other modern technology.  

Sooner or later you are going to have somekind of problems... 

Sorry but it's the reality.  

It's worth your time to migratie vb6 to vb.net. It will save you alot of problems in the future (which you sooner or later are going to run in to)

btw his asking advice about azure and how to use it. 

So the obvious answer is to let him know that azure works with modern microsoft technology's (and not vb6) and recommend him to use it.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by laurens vdb Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:45 PM
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Who wants to rewrite working software?  

Probably those who were not so young as you and now since 2000 have a job in the waste processing.

They told exactly the same. 

But I know you don't care to make your hands dirty in a job.

Success
    Cor

Sunday, September 10, 2017 2:03 PM