Live Mesh reaching outside its box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I set up a Live Mesh folder to sync code between my two PCs. The original structure was:

Work
     \
       Solution
        \
          Project1

with Solution being the folder that I added to Live Mesh.

Now I'm travelling and have slower internet connections so I've altered the C# solution to put intermediate files and the output dlls outside the Live Mesh folder to reduce changes so that Live Mesh doesn't try to sync all these files every time I do a build.

I now have

Work
    \
      Builds
       \
         Debug...
         Release...
    \
      Solution
       \
         Project1

I expected that this would cut down on the amount of syncing but Live Mesh is still uploading several megabytes saying I've added Component.pdb in folder Solution\..\Release

Is this the expected behaviour? I can see the argument for why it might be but I want to restrict the syncing to just what is in the original folder. Do I need to remove the Solution folder and add it to Live Mesh again?

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, you're going to want to remove the folders from the Mesh (make sure you have a backup first!) and recreate the setup for your new folder. Moving folders around *after* the sync location has been set has some odd consequences.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• Yes, you're going to want to remove the folders from the Mesh (make sure you have a backup first!) and recreate the setup for your new folder. Moving folders around *after* the sync location has been set has some odd consequences.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Did you rename or move the "Solution" folder around (or maybe delete and re-create it)? Or did you just add a sibling folder "builds"? In the latter case it shouldn't sync a sibling folder.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Based on the diagram, I think that it is a sibling folder, but it may be that Release and Debug and the parent, Build, were moved from within \Solution, which would cause them to potentially still be part of the Mesh.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your answer.

To answer your question: I didn't move or recreate the Solution folder, just created the sibling Builds folder, but I did copy some xml files out of Solution into Builds though if that explains the behaviour.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:44 PM
  • It sounds as though the pdb file is still building into the project directory - it sounds as though all you did was tell VS to build outside the directory and it went and created the files / directories for you.

If so, Live Mesh should not have picked up those directories (unless they somehow fall under a different mesh'ed folder). Note that syncing VS folders is currently really annoying since VS makes lots of changes to lots of files every time you build (even to files inside the project directory, such as the .sln etc) which causes a sync every time (and conflicts if you are working with someone else).

I'd try removing any pdb files and the original Release directories from the meshed solution folder and then try a build. I think that you may (unfortunately) see that VS has recreated some of the files *inside* your mesh'ed solution folder.

Oren
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:34 AM