WHS and ADAPTEC HOST RAID RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some issues with my WHS and the Host raid controller. Everytime I enable the raid controller I get usernev errors in the event viewer and on login get the dreaded cannot load your profile error not once but twice which I find strange casue thats the number of drives. I also get event ids 1502 1508 1515 and login to the temp profile which leaves no traces after restarting the system and disabling the raid controller. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This is a dual core xeon 3.0 ghz 800 MHZ FSB Tyan i7322 s5351 board 2GB DDR 400 ECC Ram 73GB SCSI Boot Drive 2 Seagate 750GB Data Drives ---> these are the ones I want to config in raid 0 RAID controller is intel 6300esb made by adaptec Any other info you may need just ask Thanks for your time Clinton
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:10 AM

All replies

• I am having some issues with my WHS and the Host raid controller. Everytime I enable the raid controller I get usernev errors in the event viewer and on login get the dreaded cannot load your profile error not once but twice which I find strange casue thats the number of drives. I also get event ids 1502 1508 1515 and login to the temp profile which leaves no traces after restarting the system and disabling the raid controller. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This is a dual core xeon 3.0 ghz 800 MHZ FSB Tyan i7322 s5351 board 2GB DDR 400 ECC Ram 73GB SCSI Boot Drive 2 Seagate 750GB Data Drives ---> these are the ones I want to config in raid 0 RAID controller is intel 6300esb made by adaptec Any other info you may need just ask Thanks for your time Clinton
    First, all types of RAID are unsupported on WHS.  Second, RAID 0 isn't "RAID" at all (and a complete waste of time on any OS in terms of redundancy, especially WHS).  Does it work if you don't use RAID?  If so (and you still want to persue RAID, which I would advise against), you should contact the manufacturer of the RAID controller for assistance.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:26 AM
  • My dear striping is very much so raid no it doesn't offer redundancy but it does offer speed. Thanks so much for much for not really answering the question at hand. I know very well that there are others here that have succesfully got raid to run in their systems oh and BTW this raid setup works in server 2003 so it should very well work here too. I appreciate the try but rather then bad mouth why don't you answer the question at hand and if you don't know the answer how bout either saying you don't know or just don't answer the thread. Here's your sign!!!
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:55 AM
  • To learn how to create an array and volumes on that array, you will need to consult the manual that came with your motherboard or HBA, or the board manufacturer's support site. This forum is not going to teach you how to do that.

As for installing Windows Home Server on a RAID array, yes, it's possible (though unsupported) in most cases. You create the array using the manufacturer's supplied setup tools (usually in the HBA BIOS), then install Windows Home Server. When installing the OS, you provide drivers twice. The first time is in the initial graphical phase of setup, at the hardware discovery screen. The second time is at the "Press F6" prompt just after the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. You will have to supply drivers in the form of an "F6 floppy" in the second case.

It's also possible that you have a motherboard or HBA that you will just not be able to install Windows Home Server on with a RAID array configured. (nVidia based RAID, for example, may never work for you.) That's the risk you take when you buy OEM/system builder software; this software assumes significantly more technical skill, and troubleshooting skill in particular, than the average computer use possesses.

Regarding RAID levels, a RAID 0 array is less reliable than the least reliable drive in the array. It should only be used for data that you don't care about in the long run, or that you can completely recreate if you lose it. And RAID in general will significantly complicate server recovery scenarios. Look at the trouble you're having now; if your OS becomes corrupted in a year, you'll go through the same headaches all over again, with the added fillip that you'll have data on your server that you will doubtless also want to preserve.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:38 PM
  • My dear striping is very much so raid no it doesn't offer redundancy but it does offer speed.

By it's own acronym (Redundant Array of Independent Disks), it's not really RAID.  (I know striping is also referred to as RAID 0, but it should never have been given that acronym in the first place.)  As for speed, chances are you won't see any benefit anyway because the bottleneck will be your network, not your hard drives.

Thanks so much for much for not really answering the question at hand.

I did answer the question.  The answer is if you are having issues with a RAID controller, you should contact the manufacturer of the controller, not MS.

I know very well that there are others here that have succesfully got raid to run in their systems

True, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone using striping on WHS for anything (they always want RAID 1 or RAID 5 for data protection).

oh and BTW this raid setup works in server 2003 so it should very well work here too. I appreciate the try but rather then bad mouth why don't you answer the question at hand and if you don't know the answer how bout either saying you don't know or just don't answer the thread. Here's your sign!!!
    I wasn't "bad mouthing" anyone or anything (well, with the possible exception of the person or people that thought using the term "RAID" to apply to a non-redundant, striped volume was a good idea  :)  ).
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Guys apparently you do not read very well so I will say it again first off and foremost I am a certified tech that most definately knows how to Create a RAID array... this has nothing to do with creating an array or did you not read the line that this works in server 2003 and all flavors except for this one. These errors only appear after an array has been created or should I say after the controller is enable and the array is created I can however enable the controller and not plug in the drives and the issue is not present. This has nothing to do with wether or not I can create an array. This issue only shows up after the array is created. Thanks for all the blanket answers but they do nothing for me I understand that you all assume that everyone that posts here is a general end user but thankfully I am not and have various certs along with wonderful troubleshooting skills so thank you for trying but none of you have even remotely touched on the issues at hand its all about its the idiot between the monitor and the keyboard you guys seriously need to get some service skills in the relm of customer service I realize CS is dead but come on guys if I treated ppl in my business this way I wouldn't have a business
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:53 PM
  • This is a dual core xeon 3.0 ghz 800 MHZ FSB Tyan i7322 s5351 board 2GB DDR 400 ECC Ram 73GB SCSI Boot Drive 2 Seagate 750GB Data Drives ---> these are the ones I want to config in raid 0 RAID controller is intel 6300esb made by adaptec

I suspect that 99.9999% of WHS users do not have this exact combination nor ever want this combination.  Don't be offended if you don't get the answer you need.  Being in the .0001% of WHS users, I'd be happy with any response by anyone.  The numbers are against you, not the moderators on this forum.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:06 PM
  • I will put this bluntly. Microsoft doesn't care if you never get your server working with a RAID array, no matter the RAID level. "RAID is not a supported technology" should tell you all you need to know on that score.

Now, as another poster has observed, I do not personally own the hardware you are having trouble with. Likely neither does kariya21 So we cannot lead you by the hand, step by tiny step, so that you will get your server working without having to actually solve some problems yourself. All we can do is give you the general problem solving tips that you're rejecting.

So here is another (general) tip: You should try installing Windows Home Server with the array already created. Windows Home Server will format the array as part of the installation process, but that's presumably not a problem. Provide drivers as previously suggested.

And one more tip: when you ask for assistance, you should consider checking both attitude and certifications at the door. Rather obviously neither one is helping you here. PEBKAC cuts both ways...

Monday, September 28, 2009 1:33 AM
  • First off and foremost let me say that its not my attitude thats the problem here its that most all people on the forums reply with blanket answers without taking the time to read or even understand the situation. Second off the hardware really isn't at issue here folks its the physical raid array thats the issue.  See I do know very well how to create RAID arrays have been creating them for years.  Thirdly did I mention anything about Certs or have an attitude in my first post there Ken?  Nope I most certainly did not that issue arose when we have had a mod think that she was god almighty and quite frankly needed to knocked down a few slats so now fourthly I belive in my second post I thanked all folks that had replied and if I did not I do apologize and will say thank you to all for the assistance albeit not so kind assistance...Fifthly I completely understand that this software is OEM and is not SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT AS WELL AS I UNDERSTAND THAT RAID IS NOT SUPPORTED as stated in my first post as for breaking the raid that was mentioned, that also was stated in my first post but we all thought that we needed to reiterate that hmmm funny how its all on me here "the one with the attitude" as for the rest of you that may need assistance with this I have the issue resolved with no help from anyone here and if you do need assistance please don't hesitate to let me know
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Oh and one other thing here I also agree with John from this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/07834863-6a48-4315-8cc4-d2f7ae3d8641

I think he hit the nail on the head here just because Microsoft doesn't support something it doesn't mean that it cannot be done and that there won't be high-end servers out there that are running the WHS product mostly DUE TO COST for small business owners that want the functionality of a stable reliable file print web mail and media server in their office without having to pay a premium for the full fledged product.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:35 PM
  • So I went back through the thread again (I do read what people write when they ask a question; it's usually easier to formulate a useful answer that way even if it's not the answer they want to hear) and yes, I still think you copped an attitude pretty much from the start.  Never mind that, I'm going to start over.

You want help with an issue installing Windows Home Server on a RAID controller and motherboard combo that very likely nobody else here has. So you're looking in the wrong place if you want help that's targeted at your specific issues. General suggestions and advice are all you're going to get.

My first piece of advice: Don't use RAID. It's not supported, it dramatically complicates your recovery scenarios if you experience OS corruption (which RAID of any level will not protect you against), and it's off-topic in this forum. That thread you mentioned (but failed to link) is locked, in case you didn't notice, and it's locked because John was obsessive about RAID.

My second piece of advice: If you insist on RAID against the advice of Microsoft and the people who volunteer their time here (you do realize we're volunteers?), go back to first principles. Make your hardware setup as generic as possible, and make sure you can install another OS (Windows Server 2003) in exactly the same configuration you'll later use for Windows Home Server.

You said "small business owners that want the functionality of a stable reliable file print web mail and media server in their office without having to pay a premium for the full fledged product." A number of those uses are direct violations of the EULA for Windows Home Server. Most of them are also going to be unsupported. You are doing your clients an extreme disservice if you are selling them Windows Home Server-based systems that are intended to replace Small Business Server (which is how you are coming across). Windows Home Server can fill a niche in the small business market, but it's not intended for use as Windows Server 2003 Lite, or SBS Lite.

My final piece of advice, which is aimed at your posting style: Use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Don't use leet speak, and avoid the wall of text like the plague. All of the above make you look illiterate, which I don't believe you are.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Ken,

First off you make assumptions where you shouldn't make assumptions and are not qualified to do so, as we all know what making assumptions makes the person making said assumptions.  Your the one with the attitude and the issues.  If you don't know what your talking about then I suggest that you keep said opinions and assumptions to your self. 
    Now to continue:

You said "small business owners that want the functionality of a stable reliable file print web mail and media server in their office without having to pay a premium for the full fledged product." A number of those uses are direct violations of the EULA for Windows Home Server. Most of them are also going to be unsupported. You are doing your clients an extreme disservice if you are selling them Windows Home Server-based systems that are intended to replace Small Business Server (which is how you are coming across). Windows Home Server can fill a niche in the small business market, but it's not intended for use as Windows Server 2003 Lite, or SBS Lite.

First off let me state that this is one huge friggin opinion of someone that needs to back the truck up and take a look at themselves, as well its an assumption.  Ken as soon as you know me maybe you can then make assumptions but please do tell me where it is that I said anything about selling anything to anyone?  Hmmm just as I thought you can't answer that question... cause I don't sell anything to anyone other than a service that you seem to think that you can provide on a forum.  If your unhappy about volunteering your time here in the forum let me make a suggestion.. DON'T!!!  The reason that I make that statement is this and this alone as John pointed out in his posts about WHS and RAID you make blanket statements and most of what you state are opinions.  Do you really think that we all don't know what it is when its stated that Microsoft DOESN'T SUPPORT RAID ON WHS?  If you read my first post I do believe that I state that right off the get go.  RAID is only a tool a technology a peice of hardware and we all know that MS likes to not support hardware when it gets to a point that its old.  As for your statement about OS corruption RAID handles this quite well with MIRRORED System Drives... Once again you made an assumption as well as an opinion...

My final piece of advice, which is aimed at your posting style: Use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Don't use leet speak, and avoid the wall of text like the plague. All of the above make you look illiterate, which I don't believe you are.

As for this statement it really is not worth my time to even respond to it but I am going to...  This isn't an English class nor a writing class so I don't have to explain to you or anyone else as to why it is that I don't format thread questions or responses except for this one as its apparent to me that I am speak with GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF!!!  You need to step off your high horse and step back and take a look at yourself as I know that I am not the only one that is complaining about your attitude nor will I be the last to do so. 

People have valid questions and deserve a response better than oh its not supported as far as I know that is exactly why people turn to the forums to ask such questions and when they get answers to said question telling them something that they already know as well as stated in their post is an absolute waste of not only their time but yours and as I stated in my last post IF YOU DON"T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION AT HAND DO NOT RESPOND!!!! 

So in conclusion here Mr. God Almighty we are just going to have to agree to disagree and believe you me I trust in that statement!!!!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:05 PM