how to fix client computer backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed RC 2011.  The big reason to switch from Ubuntu, was that this should make automated backups of client computers hassle free.  Unfortunately, despite repeated attempts to backup my Win7 laptop, I keep getting a "Backup was incomplete" message. 

The PC is newish and decently spec'd with lots of space left over on the HDD: 

System Type    x64-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB

The server itself has a dual core processor and lots of extra space, as I'm using a fraction of the 2Tb HDD.

Any suggestions of how to fix this?!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:15 AM

Answers

• I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be backing up.  The next step would be filling a bug and uploading your logs to microsoft via connect.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• There could be many reasons for this.  I'll start with the obvious first.  Are you putting your laptop to sleep during the backup process?  Are you checking the progress, and then closing it?  How far along does the process get before failing?  Have you changed anything around on your laptop, like partitions or anything like that?
    D.W.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:13 PM
  • What are your partitions?  Type?  run a chkdsk on all of em on your laptop.  Whs v1 had issues when there were corrupt files or bad sectors.  Also WHS v1 only backed up NTFS, don't know about 2011 though.  Assuming it's the same limitations.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Thanks D.W.  Here are the answers to your questions:
    Are you putting your laptop to sleep during the backup process?

No.  I've ensured it doesn't sleep or hibernate.

Are you checking the progress, and then closing it? 

I did do that, but then tried closing everything down and just letting the backup run, without interference (i.e. closing the status window.

How far along does the process get before failing?

I noticed in the early stages it would get a little further each time.  Now it seems to get as far as around 20%

Have you changed anything around on your laptop, like partitions or anything like that?

No. There are no additional partitions on the laptop.

Hi Enchanter.  Here are my answers to the questions you raised:

What are your partitions?  Type?  run a chkdsk on all of em on your laptop.  Whs v1 had issues when there were corrupt files or bad sectors...

A single partition.  The file format is NTFS.    I ran chkdsk, but it didn't turn up any errors or issues.

I hope that sheds some light on things.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the late reply, but I've been travelling for work!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:36 AM
  • I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be backing up.  The next step would be filling a bug and uploading your logs to microsoft via connect.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:48 AM
  • I once had that problem with WHS v1 when I cloned a hard disk for my desktop.  WHS v1 didn't like how the system partition was set up.  It was a bit larger than usual because of the cloning software I used.  That doesn't seem like the case here though.  The only other thought I have is that if you are using wireless, you may be losing connection.  If you are using wireless, maybe try plugging the laptop into the network via ethernet and see if that makes a difference.  Good luck.
    D.W.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:59 PM
  • I recently installed RC 2011.  The big reason to switch from Ubuntu, was that this should make automated backups of client computers hassle free. Unfortunately, despite repeated attempts to backup my Win7 laptop, I keep getting a "Backup was incomplete" message.

===========

I was attempting to back up my Acer Netbook, and kept getting incomplete, so I started digging around, and found that backup thought there wasn't enough space for the backup.

I uninstalled the Connector and then reinstalled it. Netty backed up quite nicely after that. And no, I don't know what the problem was, but that worked for me.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:04 PM
  • That would be a step I would take as well.  Uninstall the connector, and remove the computer from the server, and try starting from scratch.
    D.W.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:10 PM
  • The only other thought I have is that if you are using wireless, you may be losing connection.
    No.  It's connected via ethernet, so connection shouldn't be the issue.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:19 PM
  • I uninstalled the Connector and then reinstalled it. Netty backed up quite nicely after that. 
    Thanks, Nancy.  I tried this and it's worked with my main laptop.  Am now trying to get another, secondary laptop to backup, but it's being stubborn (there's very little memory left on the HDD, which I'm surmising may be the problem).  Thanks so much to you, D.W. and Enchanter for the suggestions.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:47 PM
  • You might also try another backup and wait for the backup incomplete message. Right after that, run EventVwr and check the Application and System logs to see if anything relevant shows up that might point to the cause of the failure. If you don’t see anything that helps in the event log on the local computer, remote desktop into the server and check the event logs on the server as well.

"GiottoGG" wrote in message news:3ec893dd-8d9d-49ad-ab8f-20c8e1838a4d...
    I uninstalled the Connector and then reinstalled it. Netty backed up quite nicely after that.
    Thanks, Nancy.  I tried this and it's worked with my main laptop.  Am now trying to get another, secondary laptop to backup, but it's being stubborn (there's very little memory left on the HDD, which I'm surmising may be the problem).  Thanks so much to you, D.W. and Enchanter for the suggestions.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:09 AM