Remote Remote Desktop into WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• No I wasn't stuttering.  When I go to my WHS 2011 website I can fully remote into any computer on my home network which works a lot better than it did with version 1.  Only computer I can not physically get into is my WHS computer.  When I remote in it goes thru the same login processes but only gives me the Windows Home Server Dashboard.  I manage all my streaming videos and the like on there an need to be able to physically get to it when I'm not at home.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

JR

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

• What you're seeing is by design; your server's desktop isn't intended for use by anyone other than when trying to resolve a problem. As for what you're trying to do: you can access your server's shares through the remote access web site, and can rearrange files, copy from one place to another, etc. that way. So for standard file management I think you will find the web site will be adequate.

That said, forward port 3389 to your server, and you should be able to reach it via remote desktop. Note that this requires your server to have a static IP address (either manually configured or via DHCP reservation) and for you to manually forward ports to your server. It also increases your server's "surface area", the services that you're exposing to possible malefactors, which means that you should have a fairly serious need. And there are known exploits against some versions of Terminal Services, including "man in the middle" attacks where a computer imitates a device on the path between you and your server and "sniffs" data packets for user credentials.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Found a easier option:

Regedit: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\RDP

Create new DWORD called EnableServerRemoteDesktop and set it to 1

Works immediately.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Hello, I wanna acesse my windows home server on LX195 HP MediaSmart Server. So, you konw it does not has keyboard and monitor, then I can't edit reedit. Some sugestion, please.... Thanks a lot :)
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Does doing this replace your Dashboard connectivity in Remote Access, or give you the RDP option in addition to the Dashboard?
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:08 PM
  • It changes the rdp session so that it shows the desktop instead of running a single application (the dashboard). You can then run the dashboard from your rdp session if you require.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:29 AM
  • I use Advanced Admin Console add-in.  Gives sufficient Windows-like access to the drives through the dashboard for my use.
    • Edited by dkellogg3 Friday, May 18, 2012 5:04 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 5:03 PM