Please help me out - peculiar problem RRS feed

• Question

• i bought my dell laptop about 6 months ago and it came preinstalled with a genuine windows xp OS. However, dell did not send me an original windows CD with my system.

Here is the problem : My windows crashed recently, and i had to format my system and put in a new windows xp. the engineer who loaded the new software loaded a pirated version of the software. obviously, now i cant use the genuine advantages that windows offers its customers. my question is this - since i have the product key for the licensed version that i paid for initially, can i convert this pirated version of windows to genuine windows using my key, and if so , how?

also, the key i have is for windows xp home edition, the OS i am running now is professional, will there be problems due to that as well?

please help me out, as i am facing alot of problems due to this.
    Arpad.

Dr.arpadpustzai@gmail.com
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:16 PM

Answers

• Jairai,

Actually this is the wrong forum for Operating Systems but I will try and help.  Please contact Dell Technicial Support directly @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation and recent purchase. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warantee you should be eligible for free replacement copy of Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs. Please have all your original purchasing information available should they need any additional information. This will expedite the process.  Remember to back up all data prior reformatting and restoring the hard dirve.

As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution.  Did you purchase the software from a busines? First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased computer was serviced and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Did you run the diagnostic test? If so please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your software.   Second, if you purchased this copy of Office from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ . It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Please post here again should you have any questions for Office Genuine Advantage problems. 

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:58 PM