Programmer access and other questions/requests RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if there will be any (.net or otherwise) API's to access the Home Server? It would be nice to write in some extra functions if a requested feature can't make it in to the V1 of the product. Also, some general technical questions that could be added to the FAQ:

Can any Windows application run using the administrator user on the box? (eg, anti-virus apps, custom media sharing programs like iTunes's sharing or the unofficial Xbox Media Center Server, internet facing services or applications like a multiplayer game server)

Are things such a disk maintenance done automatically? (chkdsk and defrag, notification of failing drives)

Will the interface be documented so third party clients can be created for non-supported platforms? (eg, I have a 2000 machine and some Mac's in my house that would benefit from the auto backup features that normally only the official client can provide)

Will access via Windows Vista Search be as fast as accessing local files in the index? Currently accessing shares via search cause 'slow search' warnings.

If the answer to any of this is 'no' currently, can it be considered? :)

And finally, is Home Server based on Server 2003 or 2007?

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:08 AM

Answers

•  Brothernod wrote:
    I am also curious about development tools and packages.  Although you guys want it to be simple, that doesn't mean there isn't room for addons and plug-ins.

Yes. We will be making our SDK available shortly.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:14 PM

All replies

• I am also curious about development tools and packages.  Although you guys want it to be simple, that doesn't mean there isn't room for addons and plug-ins.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:49 PM
  • I'm with ya.

As much as I want to be able to bang on one of these things as a user... I also want to see what I can do with it from a programming prospective.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:53 PM
  •  Brothernod wrote:
    I am also curious about development tools and packages.  Although you guys want it to be simple, that doesn't mean there isn't room for addons and plug-ins.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:14 PM
  •  cek wrote:

Brothernod wrote:

Will the SDK only be available as part of the beta or will it be more widely available?

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:24 PM
  •  Nidonocu wrote:

Will access via Windows Vista Search be as fast as accessing local files in the index? Currently accessing shares via search cause 'slow search' warnings.

WHS runs Windows Desktop Search so that Vista clients can use the server's index to search files on the shares.

Nidonocu wrote:

And finally, is Home Server based on Server 2003 or 2007?

It is based on Windows Server 2003; see cek's reply on this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1225532&SiteID=50

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:56 AM
  • Any update on a SDK availability?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:52 AM