Reinstalled WHS, and having connector trouble.... RRS feed

• Question

•  

So... I tinkered too much with my WHS, and played with too many addons and VPN stuffs... so I did a reinstall...

That went fine.... Was able to install connector on my main PC (wireless) and it worked fine... ran windows updates and got PP1 through it... Got the prompts for the Connector upgrade... everything was sweet...

then I gut a bug up my ____ about setting up my Uverse 2wire (POS) gateway so I can use my good Dlink Gaming router... Took the advice of a post here and set my router to a static 192.168.2.1, and DMZ'd it on the 2Wire.. works great... WHS plugged to the good router... all my PCs connected ok... but lost my connecter connection...

Rebooted everything, and logged onto the server local (from its monitor, keyboard, and mouse...I have a closet for the thing...)... I was able to fire up the Console, and used it to setup remote web access... that works fantastically now... where it wouldn’t before... I can remote in from my homeserver.com address... I can log into the server console, all is well...

Went to my GF pc, and removed all old connector software, and rebooted... then installed the connector by copying the folder from the server to her desktop, and it went without a hitch... When I tried to open the software to log into the server however, I get an error saying not available right now... Weird I thought, because the web based login works fine...  The error looks like:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pittaman/WHSError.jpg 

I went to my PC... logged into the web util, and started a backup, and it started and finished fine, plus her Zune software is grabbing all the music in the music folder after I mapped the drive, and its working great...

So I try the same thing on my PC, and now it cannot find my server, says after a manual attempt at putting in the servername (and it is correct) it says try again later, if problem persists, contact product support (that’s me)....

What gives?

---EDIT---

FYI... I CAN see the server, map drives, and pull data from the machine, just cant get the connector working or the remote console without going to the webpage https://yourname.homeserver.com/.... that works great... (Still cant even find the server when installing connector on my Main PC)

• Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:16 AM

Answers

• Vista?
    Right click Command Prompt in Start menu and select Run as Administrator.
    In the open command prompt type
    notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    This should allow you to make the changes and save them.

(Optional you could temporary disable User account control to perform the changes, but this often requires a reboot between.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:07 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:41 AM

All replies

• Wow.... no replies yet? I hope I'm not screwed...

(BTW... I like the new forums...)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:15 AM
  • If I understand correctly, your server is connected via a wired connection to one router, and the workstation having the issue is connected wirelessly to another router? That's probably not going to work. Can you run ipconfig /all on your server, the workstation with the issue, and a workstation that's working correctly and let us know the results?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:25 AM
  • No....

I wish I could find the post.... but BASICALLY I have a Dlink DGL-4500.... Broadcasting an AN Mixed network (A for the Xbox 360 Wifi Adapters - N for my My PC)... The WHS is hard wired to the router....

They all have a 192.168.2.* addresss.... and I can access network shared, but the connector software is all weird... (see OP)
    Friday, September 5, 2008 11:38 PM
  •  Here is the origional post for how I setup my network, just so it's a bit more clear...

Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Have you done as I asked? I haven't seen anything showing us how the clients and the server are actually configured.

In general, though, unless you are required to use the Uverse gateway I would take it out of the equation. If you have a separate DSL or cable modem, you don't need it...

Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:54 PM
  •  Hate to be rude, but are you reading? I even posted how I set things up and showed the post i found the help from....

The DHCP table on my router right now shows:

192.168.2.189  AgentPitta-PC  <--- My Laptop
    192.168.2.190  Macintosh-2 <--- Lame roomates laptop
    192.168.2.192  amysdesktop <--- My GF PC
    192.168.2.196  pittawhs <--- My server
    192.168.2.197  Pitta-Desktop <--- My Desktop

Still having same issuies... I have setup a home network or two... do know how NOT to setup and segregate a network....

I have to use that ____ 2Wire box cause of Uverse... Its the incoming connection for the 24M/b to serve up the internet and TV.... great service... ____ unit...
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 7:54 AM
  •  
    Ken Warren said:

If I understand correctly, your server is connected via a wired connection to one router, and the workstation having the issue is connected wirelessly to another router? That's probably not going to work. Can you run ipconfig /all on your server, the workstation with the issue, and a workstation that's working correctly and let us know the results?

ipconfig /all shows more than just the IP address. Could you please do as I asked? And the other post you reference that claims to state how your network is configured really says nothing about your network.

Remember that A) you came here for help, and B) the people who provide that help here are all volunteers.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:39 PM
  •  Here ya go.... Hope this helps...
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, not enough!
    As Ken said, it requires not just the server, but the problem Client & a working Client to compareit to.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Ok....

Here is MY ipconfig                -     My Main PC
    Here is the WHS ipconfig      -      WHS

Lets just start with these.... Mine is the one that wont install the software/find the server when installing connector, but can see the WHS in Network, copy and delete files from the server, and all that... just no connector...

There is no client that is working correctly....
    • Edited by [Pitta] Monday, September 8, 2008 2:24 AM Edit
    Monday, September 8, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Just cheking in... Should be home sick and doing schoolwork most the week, so I'll be here for testing and troubleshooting...

(Stupid alerts arent working for me either on the new boards....)
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:27 AM
  • *sigh* ____.... ***WHAT!@!# The edited the word c-r-a-p... wow...***

i may just have to reformat the whole thing and doa a super fresh install.... sunnuvabeach....
    • Edited by [Pitta] Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:18 PM Cause the auto-moderation sucks
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Update

I refomatted the whole WHS machine. Wiped all data, and did a fresh install... I also have a 3 day fresh restore of a laptop here, connected to the same network. After getting the WHS up, I connected to the software folder and installed the connector (PP1) and can do everything EXCEPT use the connector to log into the server. I can do backups, and recive notifications, but thats it....

I havent tried the other PC's yet...
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Update 2.0

I installed the connetor software on my Main Desktop (wireless to the same router the WHS is hooked into) and the install wont find the server automatically or by name... and our IP addresses are 1 number off in the 4 octet... so IDK WTF is going on... The laptop works fine... I can see and copy files to the WHS from Network on my Main PC, and even play music off the server from my Zune software pointed to my Mapped Network Drive for music.

The laptop was able to install, but can use the software for logging in to administer the server...
    The Main Desktop PC cannot find the server via the install....
    ---Both machines can see the server in Network and copy files to it

This is really annoying...

Also... I am able to use remote web access vis my homeserver.com webpage... I then can login to the server and administer there...

And yes, I shut off all firewalls on my Main PC and it still wont find the server... may Uninstall OneCare next....

---EDIT---

I noticed that when I connect remotely from any PC, I get a certificate error... I can still login, but my addy bar is red... never had this before... I checked the Dat like some had suggested in other posts, but the date/time is correct...
    • Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:50 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:42 AM
  •  The Laptop
    (The one that installed the connetor, can do backups and arr/remoe files from server, but wont login to administer)

Just realized I should be running the advanced Troubleshooter

Ran on both the Laptop and Desktop.... Laptop found the serer, and I'm running all tests.... The Desktop could not find the server.... The plot thinkens...

Link for the Log Files
    -Laptop Log
    • Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:14 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Update 2.5

I removed OneCare & the WHSC and rebooted the laptop... then I re-installed the WHS Connector from the server, and Im getting hte same results as before on the Connector Troubleshooter (see post above fror the log link)

I can get to http://192.168.2.196:55000/ from my desktop & laptop.... Putthing that string in the search manually for servername box gets me a step further cause it wants to download the software, it hangs at 0%, then says the operation cant be completed at this time...

I have these new boards the to alert me, but not sure if it's working... This may be my last post of the night unless I get a set of eyes on here that wanna help! Thanks!
    • Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:00 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Up and still getting over this cold... but I'm here for the next few hours for troubleshooting...

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Headed over to Best Buy to buy the $499 toshiba lappy.... See what a brand new PC does when I try to do the WHS...
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:18 PM
  • I'm going this evening to pick up the new lappy... I can't belive after a few days of posting and chronicling my issuies that nobody has any responses... This really sucks...
    Friday, September 12, 2008 10:17 PM
  • ***SIGH***

Can't get the laptop till tomorrow morning...

Can anyone even see this thread? Ive had no replys sense the 7th....
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Ok.... 24 hours later.... No replys...  :-(

I got my new lappy today, and it works famously for $550. I stripped out all the ____, removed all security apps, then installed the connector from the server, and it installed fine. Onyl problem is the connector will not allow logins... See the origional post for a screenie of what it does.

I still cannot get the software installed on my desktop either... This all used to work when I first put together my server... WTF!
    Monday, September 15, 2008 3:19 AM
  • Please answer following questions (and if you need to include content of the cmd line in the answers, you can mark the text within the cmd line window, copy and paste directly into your answer without having us to open external links, which makes quick reading more difficult).

Does it work, if your laptop gets a wired connection to the router?

From your description you seem to have a name resolution problem in your network.
    On the server - in TCP/IP properties under Advanced/WINS is there NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled? On the client as well? (I remember I did see it on one of the screenshots of the ipconfig /all results, but not on the second.)
    What are the results of calling following commands on client and server:
    nslookup servername
    nbtstat -A IP Address of Server

Olaf
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:42 AM
  • im exausted and need to hit the sack, but thank you for responding!!! I will post the requested info as soon as i get home from work tomorrow!

Thank you so much!
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Olaf is on track I think.
    What do you get when you ping your servername from a cmd prompt?  If it fails make a haosts file

Still.....
    Grey
    Monday, September 15, 2008 12:55 PM
  • I've been pretty busy for several days, sorry.

I would still like to see the full results of the ipconfig /all I asked you to run a week or so ago, not the screenshots you posted. Those are suggestive of the name resolution issue that Olaf has mentioned, but incomplete.

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:11 PM
  • IPCONFIG /ALL REPORTS

LittleRed (The New Laptop)

• Connecter installs fine
    • Shared folders work as intended
    • backups works to WHS
    • can't connect to WHS console via Connector Software, must use homeserver.com web access to manage

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LittleRed
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
    nection #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-96-2E-CB
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a495:129e:77e7:60c9%14(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.188(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 15, 2008 10:46:12 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:46:11 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
    et NIC (NDIS 6.0) #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-FC-4A-2E

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{A603DBB8-6B28-4AFB-9DC1-B1CEA76C6
    3EC}
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.gateway.2wire.net

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:14ac:3cf7:9c4d:8e9f(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14ac:3cf7:9c4d:8e9f%15(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

My Main PC 

• Shared folders work as intended
    • Connector Software will not complete install... See older posts for screenshots and history.
      • As a result of the software not installing, no backups can occour. WHS has no idea the PC exists.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Pitta-Desktop
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

Wireless LAN adapter Netgear:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-2F-BC-F3-A3
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.197(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:41:51 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:41:51 PM

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:34ce:1a0c:9c4d:8e9f(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::34ce:1a0c:9c4d:8e9f%9(Preferred)

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{BC2FC3F9-0F87-4621-A784-7E5B23689
    F08}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{C0028067-DE55-4CBA-A7D2-7A6861CB5
    EC7}

Girlfriend's PC

• Same as the Laptop LittleRed

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : amysdesktop
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-B6-9C-A2-CB
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6500:d9b1:c8fb:2400%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.190(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 15, 2008 7:03:29 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:03:28 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4D-04-E3-6B

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{F6397AFB-F5A6-4983-B1ED-4155A5F88
    578}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:10d7:12fa:9c4d:8e9f(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10d7:12fa:9c4d:8e9f%9(Preferred)

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

The WHS

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pittawhs
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS190 100/10 Ethernet Device
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-90-DF-8D-AD
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.196
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 15, 2008 8:30:53 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:30:53 AM

• Edited by [Pitta] Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:49 AM
  • All the info is there ---- I think
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Just curious, what are the workgroup names on all these?  Any the same, any different?

What did ping pittawhs say?

Still.....
    Grey
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:59 AM
  • I wrote down two commands before, which you did not execute - together with the ping, mentioned in another posting.
    These will show, if name resolution via DNS and via NetBIOS works properly - or not.

Also you have NetBIOS over TCP enabled on all machines, besides the WHS.

On your server, check the event log for connection problems, warnings and errors and check the Windows Firewall, if it allows all necessary ports for the internal communication. Especially you will need allowed communication on ports 55000 and 56000.
    On the server especially:
    HTTP   TCP 55000   Subnet
    HTTPS   TCP 56000   Subnet
    Windows Home Server Computer Backup    TCP 8912   Subnet
    Windows Home Server Transport Service   TCP 1138   Subnet

The clients have no special firewall besides the one built in to Windows blocking necessary ports?
    Unused network adapters you could disable in device manager or in network properties.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:27 PM
  • I will run thos commands and take a peek into the even log tomorrow... I missed those commands in your previous post... I was excited to see someone paying attention to the thread again!

All devices are part of the workgroup named WORKGROUP (the default workgroup for Vista... which all machines are running BTW...)

LittleRed (The Laptop)

nslookup servername

C:\>nslookup pittawhs
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.2.1

Name:    pittawhs.gateway.2wire.net
    Addresses:  192.168.1.79

nbtstat -A 192.168.1.196

C:\nbtstat -a 192.168.2.196

Local Area Connection 2:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection 2:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.2.188] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
        ---------------------------------------------
        PITTAWHS       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
        PITTAWHS       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
        ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-1E-90-DF-8D-AD

• Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Well, instead of servername you should insert the name of your home server (usually server, but this can differ if you selected another one).

The second command shows, that your client is multihomed. It has two network adapters, with only the WLAN adapter active.
    This one has an IP address in a different subnet - which is not directly supported and therefore could be the reason for the issues you mention. (Or your command has a typo ...)
    nbtstat -A 192.168.1.196
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.2.188]

If not a typo, you may check the following thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/295498e9-de53-46c8-9d38-7f110bdb2aeb/
    "Setup: Multiple subnets, how do I get my PC to connect to my Home Server from another Subnet?"

Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:28 PM
  • command had a typo..... and my WHS name is PITTAWHS, so ill update the post...

***EDIT***

See 2 posts prior... I edited the info... Sorry about the time delay in responding... Im not off work till tomorrow (technically today), then Ill have the next damn near 2 days free... so ill be here to watch the forums....

I still cant get forum alrets to email me when I get a reply here... its annoying... id check sooner if I got an email... (i get emai on mah phone....)
    • Edited by [Pitta] Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:52 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:46 AM
  • Hello,
    with the new output it seems, that your (?) server is registered somewhere with the wrong IP address in the domain of your ISP and cannot even be resolved without DNS suffix. (Maybe it had the possibility to register once (with an internal address it is wrong anyway) and is not allowed to overwrite this registration with the new IP address. Avoid this by disabling registration of the IP address of private PCs at the DNS server.
    As a workaround try to edit the hosts file on the client in Windows\system32\drivers\etc with notepad.

Add a new line to this file, so that it looks like that:

127.0.0.1         localhost
    192.168.2.196 pittawhs

Save the file and try again.
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Ok.... I have a VAGUE idea of what yer talking about, but could use a bit more simplification of direction...

And that does sound like a possibility... I ORIGIONALLY reinstalled the server while I was using the 2Wire gateway (192.168.1.254)... explaining the 192.168.1.* address you are seeing... Now I have it hooked up to the Dlink with a 192.168.2.1 address, giving out 192.168.2.* addresses in its DNS....

Where exactly do I fix this... and on what machine? I assume the Server...

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Can a MOD please delete the duplicate posts?

The posting system went crazy and said it had errors posting... after hitting it a few times I refreshed... and POW....

Thanks....
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:10 AM
  • So I found the hosts file on the server, and it already had the localhost line, so I added the pittawhs line to it...

I rebooted, and none of the symptoms (no access to config via connector, and cant find server installing connector on my Main PC...) were fixed... 
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:32 AM
  • Not on the server, but on the client, which cannot find the server, you should alter the hosts file.
    DNS in the routers is sometimes a bit flaky if it comes to changes, I had the same issue at my home network. Complained at the maker of the router about the misbehavior (router as DNS server returning historical IP address) and a new firmware seems to have solved the problem.
    Olaf
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:12 AM
  • OHHHH i get it....

it wont let me save over the hosts file.... how do I make the changes?

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Vista?
    Right click Command Prompt in Start menu and select Run as Administrator.
    In the open command prompt type
    notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    This should allow you to make the changes and save them.

(Optional you could temporary disable User account control to perform the changes, but this often requires a reboot between.)
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:07 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I know how to open it.... it just wont let me SAVE it... i get an error

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 8:05 AM
  • If you open it as described AS ADMINISTRATOR, you should not get the error, but be able to save it.

Should this still not work, there is still a chance, that some 3rd party security application on your PC could protect the file against changes.

Olaf
    Friday, September 19, 2008 8:16 AM
  • I am administrator.... it wont let me save the file after the changes.... unless I save it as a .txt....

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 9:06 AM
  • It is Vista, or?
    In Vista you are a limited administrator, unless you open an application by right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
    This is called User Account Protection and helps to improve the security against unwanted changes like a virus acting in your user context rewriting the hosts file redirecting several Internet calls to a hackers server.
    The difference between a member of the Administrators group and another user is only, that you do not need to provide an Admin account with password before performing critical actions, but only click through the appropriate dialogs.

Since files in the Windows folder in Vista are specially protected, why don't you simply follow my guide?

Olaf
    Friday, September 19, 2008 9:43 AM
  • It worked on my Laptop!

Fantastic.... I dont know what my issuie was following your instructions, but I got there.... Strange how that got jacked... but ive learned alot from this... Ill try the desktop in the morning, and let you all know if I can even get the damn thing installed!
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Everything is working great!

I did more research now that I understand the problem, and its that goddamn 2wire gateway...

I have to find out how to clear the routing tables on that thing so it can release the hostname or whatever.... But everything is working great now! just have to remember to add the WHS to the hostfile on any new PC that needs the software...
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Hey thanks,

I am currently testing WHS and ran into the same issue with a first time clean install of the product.  After putting in the hostnames to my WHS on my desktop machine it worked flawlessly.. and can now use the connector software no problems.   Thanks for the answers makes sense to me.

Technology! Don't keep me behind.. stop and settle down will ya! lets enjoy it while it's working!
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I am currently running Windows XP, Vista and 7 on client pc's they all had the connection problem, entering data into hosts file cured it for the xp machine only. Easiest cure I found was, install dns on the WHS server, point it to itself, point the clients to the server. You need to open port 53 on the WHS firewall for TCP / UDP if you want your client PC's to resolve exrenal addresses. After that create forward and lookup zones for your workgroup, DNS will complain about the server having a non domain name but it doesn't seem to matter everything then runs sweet, connect resolves internal address and you can open the console / webpage just using the server name. John
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:56 PM