Restoring to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe a stupid question, but I can't find a good answer to it anywhere: If I understand right, the whole OS with drivers and everything is in the WHS backup. What happens then if the backed-up computer is damaged or lost and I need to restore to a new computer? Would I have to pick the files to restore manually, or is there a way to do that automatically?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    as long as the hardware is similar (especially chipset and storage controller count here), the chances are good, that the system boots up and you can install the needed drivers after that.
    If not: For Windows XP you can create a slipstreamed CD with at least the same SP included, which was last installed and attempt a Repair installation on top of the restored system. This will keep applications, data and settings and try to get a running OS back. Although issues with product activation can not be excluded in this scenario.
    Vista has no repair installation mode. An inplace upgrade works also only, as long as the OS starts. If this is not the case and the system start repair feature of Vista fails as well, you only can try playing around with the mode of the SATA controller in Bios, because this is usually the weakest point in a direct transformation of an OS to new hardware.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Monday, February 23, 2009 9:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:00 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is designed to restore back to the same, or identical, hardware. It doesn't attempt to deal with the issue of driver changes, etc. so in the event of needing to replace a computer you would just want to restore data files, not programs, settings, etc. Attempting to restore the entire backup to a new computer (effectively creating a clone of the old computer) would, in most cases, result in a computer that would not boot successfully.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hi,
    as long as the hardware is similar (especially chipset and storage controller count here), the chances are good, that the system boots up and you can install the needed drivers after that.
    If not: For Windows XP you can create a slipstreamed CD with at least the same SP included, which was last installed and attempt a Repair installation on top of the restored system. This will keep applications, data and settings and try to get a running OS back. Although issues with product activation can not be excluded in this scenario.
    Vista has no repair installation mode. An inplace upgrade works also only, as long as the OS starts. If this is not the case and the system start repair feature of Vista fails as well, you only can try playing around with the mode of the SATA controller in Bios, because this is usually the weakest point in a direct transformation of an OS to new hardware.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Monday, February 23, 2009 9:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:00 PM