Projectmembers can't see projectdetails RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there, I am approaching the end of my implementation so I have some questions that remain unanswered. But this is the most important one:

In EPM 2007, when I wanted to give a projectmember a chance to look at the plan, it was allready sufficient to give him the permission to "show projectdetails" at category permissions. So I thought this would also be similar in Project Server 2010. But I was wrong. My projectmembers could not look at the Projectdetails of a project, until they also have the permissions: "Open a Project" and "Save project to Server". Now that is totally unacceptable, projectmembers could never save projects. I am clearly missing a very obvious point here, cause this seems hardly possible...Can anyone tell me what I should consider to give my members a read-only view of the projectplan?

Thanks and a good weekend to you all!

Willem ter Haar

• Edited by WillemTH Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:56 AM
    Friday, July 2, 2010 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hey Barbara, thanks for pointing these 2 threads, I have also opened another line more direct to Microsoft. Let's keep eachother updated..
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi WillemTH,

As i understand you would like to give projectmembers (resources who are working on the project plan - team members) should be able to see project details via PWA

I just tested the senario in PSVR2010 and if you give only "Open Project" Permission in Team member group under "My Task" Category then projectmembers can view the project details in PWA.

Hope this help to achieve your requirement.

Thanks

MOhit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, MOhit - MSFT (Project) Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Mohit,

First of all: Thanks for answering. I appreciate it. But it did not help me. I will explain:

I have to admit, in 2007 Microsoft teammembers autorisations and my personal view on what a projectmember can or cannot do, have been pretty much identical. But in the field I notice that customers in majority don't want their teammembers to create their own new tasks(that is something for the projectmanager), and I never even discussed the possibility for projectmembers to create new projects. That is just unthinkable. Now you may have adjusted "Open project" in Teammember Category Permissions and that may work, but if you look at the rest of the Teammember permissions you see a check behind "New Project" in Global Permissions. That simply is not an option. If you uncheck that box, the detail screens of project center cease to function, in my environment.

So your answer was right in the way that "Open Project" did the trick, but I will not base my autorisations on "Teammembers" as long as it states that teammembers can make new projects. So I am curious to know what you think of this and I am open for new ideas.

Greetings,

Willem ter Haar

Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Does anybody have any idea about this, it's my the last of my 4 questions here that I was not able to solve?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Hi Willem,

I see what you are talking about. To be able to view project schedule in PWA, a user needs "Open project" in group-category permission AND "New Project" in global permissions. I agree, "New Project" is something I don't want to give to any team member. I hope there will be a change on that in the near future.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Willem

You see this major change because of Demand Management in Project Server 2010. Keep in mind that you now have workflow to govern the process end-to-end. In 2010, the difference between a "proposed project" and a project in execution is a matter of moving from one stage to another in a workflow.

To support demand management and proposal creation, team members must have the "Save new Project" permission. By using the new tools in Project Server 2010, which include workflow governance, department filters, and Enterprise Project Types, you can actually build a much tighter system than ever before. There are a number of assumptions around "idea capture" and "innovation management" that underly these architectural decisitons.

So, the answer here is to learn the depth of the new toolset before reacting to specific changes in the permission sets that support the new scenarios you can build using Project Server 2010. I think you'll end up liking it!

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I understand these settings are required for demand management. However, do you know any way how to disable this for e.g. Basic Project Plan. I am fine with proposals, but I don't like the idea of new non-workflow-driven project plans created by any team member. What I found during my tests: even if "Save Project to Project Server" is not enabled, a team member can create a Basic Project Plan and save it.

To be honest, I would prefer to have the possiblity to have different groups: some are allowed to start proposals and I will give them "New Project" of course. Other groups should perhaps only be able to enter progress and see the schedule of projects they work on.

Thanks in advance!
    Barbara

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I agree with Barbara. My customers are very interested in end-to-end proces possibilities in the future, that is why they are switching to Project Server 2010. But most of those switches are "1-on-1" for the time being. The low-hanging fruits, like project-web-editing, single entry time-reporting and projecttypes convince them to change at this moment, but they don't start out using portfolio analysis, business cases or workflow management. I think in about a year time I will have many of those requests.

So for the time being, I try to translate their current environments in Project Server 2010. And yes there are those who are ahead of the crowd and ready for capturing ideas, but some teammembers will never have that responsibility. They just are asked to write their timesheets and to complete the picture outside of their own narrow tasklist need a read-only projectdetail screen like they had in Project Server 2007. As I said above, if some of my customers are in the mindset that even the creation of a new task in a project is forbidden since the projectmanager is in charge of the project, I will not success in convincing them at this moment that teammembers should be able to create new projects.

Thank you for your answer, let me end with something positive. This question about teammember permission is about the only serious thing left for me to solve in Project Server 2010, for the rest it looks good and the extra possibilities are very convincing. Almost wish I was a salesman, but as a consultant I can wow a lot of customers so far. I am looking forward to your administrator guide, we've ordered quite a number.

Willem

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Barbara:

I haven't tried this specifically, but how about leveraging departments to accomplish this. I believe it will work.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi Gary,

with your post you made me re-thinking of possibilities about using departments (it was my first idea when I read Willem's first post, but I rejected it very soon).

I have played around a while. And you, you can use Departement to get that work. But then you can't use Department in a way as it was designed for. At least I can't integrate it in an manageable way into my Department concept. Today there was a similar question posted: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/1f260116-9eea-42b1-a853-222268a8a12a. I have just tested it. It is sufficient to give "Edit Project Summary fields" on act/group level instaed of "New Project" as global permission. That is better, but nevertheless too much for a team member. Most of our customers want to give them an overview, what they are working on - and not more.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hello people,

I am wondering if Barbara and me are the only one experiencing this problem? I have tried the Department solution, but that is quite a labourintensive/errorsensitive workaround. Definitally, other consultants must have also faced this problem, so can anyone add some other alternatives? I understand the way Microsoft and Gary are thinking about teammembers(and empowering them to enter their ideas, thus giving them permission to create New projects) but that is miles away from everyday practice that I encounter everyday at my customers. So in short terms, a way to show teammembers the projectdetails without giving them the permissions of opening, saving or starting a new project, just viewing (like in Project Server 2007).

Regards,

Willem ter Haar 

Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Hi Willem,

just back from a customer asking for that.

I have one comment on your last post: I understand that a user needs "Open Project" to be able to see project details due to a technology change. As long as the user is not allowed to save, I am fine with that. And for sure I will not give "Log on to Project Server from Project Professional" as global permission.

Since a few hours I have another reason to request this functionality:
    In our workshop we discussed access to PWA for customers. We have implemented that for a few customers in 2007. But I don’t see any chance to do so in 2010, as long I am not able to set really restrictive permissions for a group. I need the possibility to have user groups with only read access for Project Center and Project Details as it was possible in 2007. Since I need “New Project“ in Global Permissions or "Edit project summary fields" for Project Details, I can’t use it neither for team members like our customer wants to have, nor for customer access.

Sorry that's me again answering .... I also hope that some more people will join that discussion.

Regards
    Barbara

P.s.: I have called support in the meantime. Perhaps they will find a solution which is less permissive.

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Barbara:

I've been extremely busy, so my apologies in getting back to you. I wonder from your comment whether you have tried casting both the Project Departments and Resource Department fields as multi-value fields? If so, I'm surprise that you can't work this out.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hi Gary,

also a late answer, I needed some time to set up everything following my ideas initiated by you. I see some administration challenges but maybe it could work.

Could, because it is not possible to apply a department to the default Enterprise Project Type - and there is a need to have one defined as default. Do I anything miss in your approach?

Thansk in advance!
    Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I suppose adding an event handler to intercept the default project type and determine whether the user should be able to create it would be a work-around for this, but I see your point. The permissions matrix could be a bit more robust in this regard.

I'm going to close this thread with the conclusion that everyone who would like to see this changed, log their desires at http://connect.microsoft.com If anyone thinks we should continue to beat this horse, re-open the thread with your post.

Microsoft is listening there.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:42 AM
    Microsoft is listening there

Hopefully ;-)
    Since I have the second customer requesting it since yesterday.

I will discuss your suggestion with them.
    Thanks a lot!

Barbara

Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:50 AM
  • People,

What a shame that this has only been a 3-way discussion between Gary, Barbara and myself. If I start reading about event handlers and "creative use" of project- or resourcedepartment custom fields, it makes me wonder about all other kinds of workarounds that have been thought of in the field by other people. So despite the great effort by Microsoft of empowering projectmembers to enter their ideas (for portfolio analysis), it is obvious that I can't sell this to any of my customers. Like Barbara said, projectmembers and external stakeholders should have read-only view on project details, no matter what. I know I am (painfully) persistent in this post, and that is not out of disrespect towards Gary or Barbara, but I am having a hard time following the philosophy of Microsoft. So being (painfully) persistent, please somebody add to this post, I am very curiou about other ways to make the project details read-only.

Willem

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hi Willem,

there are some more people joining us since yesterday:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/f2521a2c-b909-4010-bf74-34a6b3b8edab
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/7640e8f4-4234-4e0b-80c9-218db519acd7

I can't tell what happens in connect as Gary suggested, since I have no access there. I can only encourage you to open a call at MS (do you have a support contract?), perhaps that will help?

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hey Barbara, thanks for pointing these 2 threads, I have also opened another line more direct to Microsoft. Let's keep eachother updated..
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Willem, Barbara,

Do you have an update on this?
    I'm also facing the same problem (team members should only be able to see project details and don't need save permissions).

I have some customers that don't use Project Server for demand management, so Gary's suggestions are not really a solution (too much effort or fiddling around for something that worked OOB in 2007).

Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Hi Hans,

no updates on that. I am still looking for others with the same issue. Willem focuses on work arounds, as far as I know. But there are a lot of limitations. I am waiting for some more people requesting that, so you are really welcome!!!

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Everybody,

I've exactly the same problem as Willem posted! And´there is another posting which describes the same problem just for another user group (Executives).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/536a7e71-2690-4001-894d-a57cd970d171

Im pretty sure that many will have the same but just read these posts and do not answer. I just want to remark that everyone who's reading this and have the same issue - please make a short post! This will underline the priority of this issue for all the guys from the Product Group who are reading these posts!

Regards Steffen

Steffen Reister - TheProjectGroup
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have already referred to two other ones on August 11th. The one you mentioned I have missed due to days off. Some more people are asking for, that's fine.

I had opened a call some time ago. The answer was: works as designed. But if there are more people requesting it (more support calls, preferable by premier customers), this design could be changed in future?

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi Everybody,

regarding an answer from the other thread, it seems like MS has diescovered our problem as a bug which will be fixed with CU-Dec or CU-Feb!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/536a7e71-2690-4001-894d-a57cd970d171

Can someone else confirm this?

Regards Steffen

Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

I can't confirm, since I am not working for Microsoft.
    However, I got a similar information in Barcelona - it will be inculded in one of the next CUs.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, December 2, 2010 11:15 AM
  • We have opened a Premier Support Case regarding this issue, will keep you posted

ECSS is a 2 Billion dollars multi year Air Force Program.

We are using Project Server to integrate all parties in the program, including the Air Force and need a quick solution to this problem. We have used PWA in 2007 version to provide AF access to plans with restrictions on data seen, since upgrading to 2010 this is no longer possible, so this is a problem for CSC and Air Force.

John Purvis

Digital Concepts, Inc

Assigned to CSC ECSS Program

Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Is there any news on this issue or has anyone found a ? I am working on a new implementation of Project Server 2010 and this could dramatically affect the way we implement security permissions across the board.

Monday, December 20, 2010 8:40 PM
  • This topic is now of great interest to me because I am apart of a Project Server 2010 implementation and this issue can have huge impacts on the way we roll out the security permisisons in the system.  I too encountered this issue when I turned off the "New Project" and "Edit Project Details" permissions for our own custom team member group.  Has anyone received a positive confirmation from Microsoft about it getting fixed in the next update or has anyone found a workaround? 

Interestingly, I do have custom PM and Executive groups that cannot edit info, but can view project details, so I will do a detailed look to see what exactly is different between the two categories.

Monday, December 20, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Drew:

I can confirm that Microsoft is addressing this, however I cannot give you a release date other than some time in the near future.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Yes there is a confirmation from MS that this will be fixed in CU december!

Merry christmas Steffen

Monday, December 20, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  Let's hope the update comes sooner rather than later.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi

Has anyone found a KB that specifically references this issue in the December CU? Many thanks!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

the announced CU is not released yet (at least I can't find it with the link provided at http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/12/15/microsoft-project-server-and-sharepoint-2007-and-2010-december-cu-2010-are-mostly-live.aspx).

But I found a hotfix released in December: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112.

Consider the following scenario:

• You are a team member of a project in Project Server 2010.
    • You only have permissions to view projects in PWA.
    • You drill into the project.

In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
    An unexpected error has occurred.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test so far.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, December 31, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

We all have been waiting for this change to be implemented, despite of the fact that its been defined as the way PS2010 is designed (i have read it in some other post related to this issue) the permission was critical and desperately required.

The announced CU is released now, and i have also tried the scenarios and its working. Here is the link for the Dec CU:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459258

I hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Khurram, what actual KB is tied to this fix? KB 2459258 is for the 12/31 CU but I don't see a reference to this change in functionality preventing Team Members from making project changes. Am I missing something? Can you provide more information?

Regards,

Lisa

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459258. there is a section "Issues that this hotfix package fixes". There you will find KB 2459112 I mentioned above.

This change doesn't prevent team members to make changes. But you can now design permissions that they can open Project Details without needing permissions to change the project.

Hope that helps?

Regards
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by LD2009 Monday, January 3, 2011 8:00 PM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:53 PM
  • This patch does correct view of Project Details for Executives, may work for team members

John Purvis

John Purvis Digital Concepts, Inc. Assigned to CSC ECSS Program
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Hi All,

I have applied the Dec CU and found an error as mentioned here in Brians blog-

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/09/17/project-server-2010-applied-august-cu-and-having-problems-with-jsgrid.aspx

also the last paragraph in this blog page is -

Although JSGrid is a component initially developed for Project Server 2010 it was shared with other teams for the “14” release and is also used by Access Services.  It is shipped as part of SharePoint Foundation, and this is where we slipped up in not also having the fix in the Project Server CU too.  Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we will ensure with future CUs that this dependency will be avoided. 

is it taken care here in DEC CU??

Pls suggest !!! How to overcome??

Thanks,

Parag

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Microsoft accepted this bug for fix, Information we have received indicates this should be addressed in June CU
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

have you any updates applied? This was already addressed by CU Dec 2010 (following KB was part of: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112
        Consider the following scenario:
        You are a team member of a project in Project Server 2010.
        You only have permissions to view projects in PWA.
        You drill into the project.
        In this scenario, you receive the following error message:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Are you referring to this issue and are still experiencing after applying CU Dec? Just by curiosity ...

Barbara

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:09 PM
  • As stated in an earlier post the Dec CU fixed problem for Team Members, does not fix Executives. This was tested following Dec CU and Apr CU, Microsoft looks to include in Jun CU
    • Proposed as answer by John T Purvis Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:44 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:05 PM
  • This is fixed by June 2011 CU
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:45 PM