dlink DIR-615 C1 and whs issue RRS feed

• Question

• anyone gotten the external website running with this router?

for the life of me, i cant get remote connections to work at all.  even when manually configuring port forwarding.

need a lil help =)

- me 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    some more information would be helpfull.

Network and router related:
    • How is your network topology? Is the server connected to the router directly, is the router connected directly to the Internet or is there an additional DSL modem connected to the router?
    • Is the firmware of the router up to date?
    • Have you verified the IP address of the WHS, to which you have configured port forwarding for ports 80, 443 and 4125?
    ISP related:
    • Which is your ISP? Maybe he blocks the ports?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    some more information would be helpfull.

Network and router related:

• How is your network topology? Is the server connected to the router directly, is the router connected directly to the Internet or is there an additional DSL modem connected to the router?
    • Is the firmware of the router up to date?
    • Have you verified the IP address of the WHS, to which you have configured port forwarding for ports 80, 443 and 4125?
    ISP related:
    • Which is your ISP? Maybe he blocks the ports?
    Olaf

Thanks for the reply,

The server is connected directly to the router, and a cable modem connects the router to the internet.

I have the latest firmware for my hardware revision.

The ip address is right for whs.  on the port forwarding page for the router, you actually get to click a drop down that shows you the name and ip of each device connected to the router so you cant get the ip's wrong.  The server's ip is also reserved in the router to make sure it never changes ip's.

hope that helps you, help me =D

- me

Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:30 PM
  • If the cable modem is not part of the router, there are chances, that the modem adds a second private subnet. This scenario is also called double NAT and makes the Internet Connection via homeserver.com domain at least troublesome. You may want to check this link (step 8) in this case.
    Which is the external IP address shown for your router?
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:37 PM
  • I'm not sure why, but it seems I can't connect to it with the web interface from INSIDE my network.

I hopped on a neighbors unsecured wifi (shame on him) and it can connect with that no problem.

so I guess thats good enough for me, unless there is a reason why you might enlighten me on why getting web access from inside the network might be important.  Am I missing anything by not having it?

my biggest concern was being able to upload to my server while on my trip im taking this week.

thoughts?

- Christian

P.S.

BTW thanks a ton for your time.  You've been really helpful so far.  So thank you
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Hi,
    not all routers support a loopback (to call the external address of the router and come back to the internal address this way). In this case simply use http://yourservername internally instead of http://yourdomainname.homeserver.com to access the Remote Website internally.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:42 AM