Fun with the .NET Micro Framework RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Folks,

I recently bought an Arduino microcontroller, and yesterday while researching it I came across this blog by Pete Brown, Microsoft’s XAML guru, talking about a recent Arduino variant called the Netduino. Unlike the Arduino, which is programmed using a simplified version of C++, the Netduino uses C# and the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework (which is an open source version of the .NET platform for small devices), with Visual Studio as its development environment.

Arduino, an open source project, is probably the most popular platform for “physical computing” in which a computer equipped with sensors is used to interact with the physical world in often imaginative ways. It has limitless possibilities for anyone interested in creating interactive environments using computers. Arduino has a large and diverse following, and has spawned several variants, including the Netduino.

Studying as hard as we do for our Microsoft exams, sometimes we can get a little jaded, leaving us craving something fun to spice up our training. If we don’t mind getting our hands dirty, then the Netduino could be a useful complement to our training in C#, the .NET Framework, and Visual Studio. Rather than moving data around in a database, for example, we could now be moving things around in the real world, using the same C# that we know and love.

For C# novices, the Netduino could be an educational adventure, complementing book learning by showcasing the versatility of the .NET Framework in an exciting real-world environment. For veteran C# programmers, coding in a novel environment where you’re limited only by your imagination could stretch you in new ways. Either way, the Netduino could make learning fun.

Feel free to explore Netduino if you like, and let us know if it enhances your learning. BTW, I ordered my Netduino yesterday, and I’m eagerly awaiting its arrival.

James
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:31 PM

All replies

• For anyone else who might be interested, this is the main information page on the Micro Framework:

http://www.netmf.com/

An this is a page with suggestions on "selecting hardware", since there are several manufacturers that provide devices that are ready for programming with the Micro Framework:

http://www.netmf.com/selecting-hardware.aspx

One catalog for .NET Micro Framework devices:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/7/

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the extra information, particularly the last link. I bookmarked it, and I marked your post as helpful.

I'm new to the .NET Micro Framework, so you're giving me all kinds of possibilities here.

James

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi Folks,

My Netduino arrived today. I will let you know how it goes.

James

Friday, December 7, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Hi Folks,

If you're considering getting started with Netduino and the .NET Micro Framework, following are two good introductory books that I would recommend:

1. Getting Started with Netduino, by Chris Walker (inventor of Netduino)

2. Getting Started with the Internet of Things, by Cuno Pfister

Both books are available at Amazon.com for $9.99 in the Kindle edition. Enjoy.

James

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:19 AM