none
Problems with windows update tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

After finding out my Microsoft software was not genuine I purchased the product key to convert it back into the genuine article. Using the update tool I get as far as typing in the new product key and I get the message:

"The productkey could not be updated on your computer. This may be due to  technical difficulties or network connectivity issues"

The network seems fine. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most greatful.

Many thanks

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XBWTV-8QKHB-2VXJP
    Windows Product Key Hash: ECBZuMPJqRiMdNVIsjEAdhYkomE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-2982205-23632
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 2a9c6a69-854a-48ed-a9b5-694a70e08f1c
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3_B4D0AA8B-910-800401f3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Friday, May 4, 2007 7:50 PM

Answers

• Scallion,

Is the utility reporting a 0x80004005 error?

The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers.  The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files.  Misconfigured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, and misconfigured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing.

Please address these possibilities and try again.

If that does not resolve your issue, you will have to wait until the genuine CD arrives in the mail, and then do a clean installation after backing up and offloading your data.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Hi Scallion,

If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key and is most likely why the Product Key Update Tool did not work.

I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue, but I strongly suggest waiting for the Windows XP disk, that we have sent you, and conduct a clean install.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 1:33 AM

All replies

• Scallion,

Is the utility reporting a 0x80004005 error?

The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers.  The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files.  Misconfigured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, and misconfigured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing.

Please address these possibilities and try again.

If that does not resolve your issue, you will have to wait until the genuine CD arrives in the mail, and then do a clean installation after backing up and offloading your data.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Hi Scallion,

If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key and is most likely why the Product Key Update Tool did not work.

I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue, but I strongly suggest waiting for the Windows XP disk, that we have sent you, and conduct a clean install.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 1:33 AM