none
Is it possible to convert a VB 6.0 windows application to c# web application RRS feed

All replies

• Hello,

No, there are two many differences. Now if there was a well formed VB.NET project needed to convert to a C# web app perhaps some classes might fit in but that is not a good idea either.

You are better off writing down the requirements both business and technical then decide on what type of web project to use followed by writing code.

You will also need to know, CSS, JavaScript (and maybe) jQuery along with proper HTML. When working with ASP.NET x dependent on the project type controllers, views, models and more.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:18 AM
  • I believe there are tools that can help convert VB 6 to VB.Net. They cannot convert everything but they can help. I think Visual Studio has or at least had such software. I am sure that Karen knows more about that. The actual UI part might not convert (easily) but hopefully the backend can be converted. If you can convert the backend to VB.Net then there are tools that can convert VB.Net to C#. So I am not sure but perhaps the first step is to split the VB 6 application into two applications, a backend and a UI.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Is it possible to convert a VB 6.0 windows application to c# web application

No, you would have to do the conversion manually.

1) A Windows desktop program  and a ASP.NET Web application run in two different environments.

2) Any conversion of VB6 code to VB.NET code by some 3rd party tool that is free falls short of the task.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft provides a way to migrate VB6 to VB.NET. But it requires an earlier version of Visual Studio. After that, you can convert VB.NET to C#. There are many tools on the web that can convert vb.net to c#, but there is no direct conversion from VB 6 to C#.  Even with the automatic migration tool, in most cases, you must perform a lot of manual work to run the application in the same way as the original application, so this method is not recommended.

On the other hand, converting desktop applications to web applications faces many challenges:
    - access to hardware
    -Windows API call
    - Manage application status
    - access to the file system
    -Access control
    - Use desktop specific UI / UX / controls

Finally, as mentioned above, it is recommended that you rewrite the C# web application.

Hope it be helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Li-MSFT Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Li-MSFT Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:48 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:38 AM