Current MCSD certifications RRS feed

• Question

• New to these foums :)

I'm a java developer and learning C# has been on the cards for a long time now, I planned to give the MCSD certifications last year (namely 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320) but for various reasons got delayed and when I've got back now I see it has been retired. The certifications are very confusing? Which are the current certifications? MCTS?

I'm looking for a certification on the lines of 70-315, 70-316, 70-320 which are aimed at C# primarily and I can learn C# and apply the knowledge in obtaining a certification which will help in the future since I don't have any C# experience.

Can someone please suggest alternative exams please, I did go to the microsoft website and have spent more than an hour trying to figure it out but it really did my head in :(

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:08 AM

Answers

• The exams target both VB.NET and C#. You get to choose the language of the exam at the beginning of the exam.

If you want to get the MCPD Web Certification, you need to do all the exams.  If you just want to get a MCTS certification, you choose one of the MCTS certifications.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by fcerts Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• The Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) certification is what has replaced MCSD.  You can find out more about it and the relevant exams at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx
    Jeff Wharton
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Thanks Jeff, I did see the MCPD (and all the others as well) but none seem to be targeted to C# like the earlier certifications. What makes it more confusing is the lack of information, like below it is not very clear if I need to clear all 4 exams or any one. Since I'm currently learning C# it would have been nice to give an exam targetted to C# much like the 70-315. Are the course contents the same?

Web Developer 4—for developers who build interactive, data-driven ASP.NET applications by using ASP.NET 4.0 for both intranet and Internet uses.

Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010

Exam number

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

MCPD requirement: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:17 PM
  • The exams target both VB.NET and C#. You get to choose the language of the exam at the beginning of the exam.

If you want to get the MCPD Web Certification, you need to do all the exams.  If you just want to get a MCTS certification, you choose one of the MCTS certifications.

Jeff Wharton
    • Marked as answer by fcerts Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, that makes it a lot clearer. I wish they had this information on the certification page.

Now to hunt for the revised syllabus and material :(

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:03 PM