none
Invalid license after 3 years? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Vista Home Premium for 3 years and now I am getting random error messages that it is not valid.  I have a product key on the side and I checked with a phone agent at Microsoft and it's valid. :(  It came loaded as the OS on a brand new HP Pavillion Slimline which I purchased from Bell Canada, my phone and IS provider.  Also since this error the printer spooler system has gone into an infinite loop of crashes.  And the Microsoft webcam which worked perfectly fine before - just like the printer used to (Canon MX-320 - a whole month old). printer spooler error is preventing me form reinstalling the drivers for the Canon. It's set to autimatic and there is nothing wrong with the Remote Procedure Call form what I've been able to tell.

I ran one of the suggested diagnostics and it gave me this:

C:\Windows\system 32\slmgr.vbs

line 291

char 5

error  0xC004D401

code C004D401

source (null)'

Please advise. :( Thank you!

Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:23 AM

Answers

• "Aqualyra" wrote in message news:f59fd8ea-4556-4c4d-948e-67f0f413d8a8...

I have been running Vista Home Premium for 3 years and now I am getting random error messages that it is not valid.  I have a product key on the side and I checked with a phone agent at Microsoft and it's valid. :(  It came loaded as the OS on a brand new HP Pavillion Slimline which I purchased from Bell Canada, my phone and IS provider.  Also since this error the printer spooler system has gone into an infinite loop of crashes.  And the Microsoft webcam which worked perfectly fine before - just like the printer used to (Canon MX-320 - a whole month old). printer spooler error is preventing me form reinstalling the drivers for the Canon. It's set to autimatic and there is nothing wrong with the Remote Procedure Call form what I've been able to tell.

line 291

char 5

error  0xC004D401

code C004D401

source (null)'

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:32 AM

All replies

• "Aqualyra" wrote in message news:f59fd8ea-4556-4c4d-948e-67f0f413d8a8...

I have been running Vista Home Premium for 3 years and now I am getting random error messages that it is not valid.  I have a product key on the side and I checked with a phone agent at Microsoft and it's valid. :(  It came loaded as the OS on a brand new HP Pavillion Slimline which I purchased from Bell Canada, my phone and IS provider.  Also since this error the printer spooler system has gone into an infinite loop of crashes.  And the Microsoft webcam which worked perfectly fine before - just like the printer used to (Canon MX-320 - a whole month old). printer spooler error is preventing me form reinstalling the drivers for the Canon. It's set to autimatic and there is nothing wrong with the Remote Procedure Call form what I've been able to tell.

line 291

char 5

error  0xC004D401

code C004D401

source (null)'

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:32 AM
  • try this: 

1. Access command prompt in elevated mode

2. Slmgr –upk (this will uninstall the current product key)

3. Slmgr –rearm (reset the activation files

4. Perform reactivation of the system

Restart pc & reactivate windows or to ensure that system does not prompt for reactivation
    To bring up the activation screen simply type in slui4.exe in the run command

http://redfireworkz.blogspot.com/2010/08/windows-vista-activations.html

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:14 AM
  • try this: 

1. Access command prompt in elevated mode

2. Slmgr –upk (this will uninstall the current product key)

3. Slmgr –rearm (reset the activation files

4. Perform reactivation of the system

Restart pc & reactivate windows or to ensure that system does not prompt for reactivation
    To bring up the activation screen simply type in slui4.exe in the run command

http://redfireworkz.blogspot.com/2010/08/windows-vista-activations.html

Considering that No Diagnostic Report has yet been posted and the fact that the only error code the customer has posted is usually related to a Mod-Auth Tamper, please explain to me how you have diagnosed the issue as being Activation related?
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:10 PM
  • well, ask the customer to post the diagnostic report, than you can have a look yourself. 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:37 AM
  • "Rishinder Dev Singh" wrote in message news:01641a66-a73c-436a-852c-26b681799ea1...
    well, ask the customer to post the diagnostic report, than you can have a look yourself. 

I did - and we're still waiting for a response .

--

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:55 AM
  • well, ask the customer to post the diagnostic report, than you can have a look yourself. 

We have, but you still haven't answered my question.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:38 PM
  • You're not the boss of me !

since the customer hasn't posted anytin,you cant suggest otherwise !

I have been working with microsoft technologies for years, it 'could' be true !

I suggest you shut it cause at this point neither of us are right.

and its not bout that, its bout helping !

stop being sarcastic and concentrate on helping, if you still wana help.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:25 PM
  • It may have excaped your notice, but Darin is the Forum Owner here - so yes, he is your boss in this forum at least.

He was asking a serious question, since you may have had prior knowledge of the posters problem from another forum.

However, the probablity is that your proposed 'fix would not work anyhow, since the VBS appears to be failing to run properly currently

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:33 AM