Drive check fails to execute in setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS w PP1 on a home made server, ASUS A8RMVP Deluxe mb with 4gb ram Opteron Dual Core 2.6gb 939 processor. I have used this board, processor, ram etc with Vista ultimate 64bit with no problems. want to set up a WHS server for my church.

Board supports server 2003. I have WD HDDs 2x 750gb black WD & a 1tb blue WD drive. Using a WD750AALS drive as the system drive. WHS gets through setup to the reboot part then starts HDD check and fails to continue (no error messages, no HDD activity observed). I have no jumpers set on the HDDs. Help. what's wrong?

The drives are SATAII and the mb bios is set with SATA enabled but not raid. SATA DVD and Hard drives are set to IDE mode in bios for the SATA controller.

I have tried using the F6 command during setup to use the SATA driver for the board but no change in result. All drives are seen by WHS setup with no driver installed but when it reboots into "Windows" and begins disk check the HDD activity light stops and have left the system on for 5 hours and no progress or activity is noted. I have seen comments about jumper needing to be set but no details. the WD HDD has jumpers for 1.5gb/s enabled and Spread Spectrum clocking enabled and standard (no SSC/3gb/s rate)

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:55 AM

All replies

• In your BIOS, set your drives to "legacy IDE", "PATA", etc. mode. Usually this will allow them to be recognized without needint to supply additional drivers. You are, in theory, sacrificing a small amount of performance, but in reality it's performance you won't ever see anyway; there are other bottlenecks that will mask the effects.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I have done this still have prob with
    setup "checking drives"
     when setup reboots windows
    John Barrington "newbejohn"
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:29 PM