Incoming PSTN calls don't get picked up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are experiencing the following about 90% of the time:

When an external call is made to OCS the caller hears a ringing tone and the OCS phone rings.

You pickup on the OCS phone which shows you are connected.

However the person calling still only hears a ringing tone. If the OCS phone hangs up it disconnects the incoming caller, but if the incoming caller hangs up first the OCS phone does not hang up.

We are using Snom 300 phones. But we can replicate the issue using the OCS Communicator too.

The setup is PSTN--->Splicecom Maximiser---->sipX----->OCS Mediation----->OCS Frontend----->Snom 300

All calls from OCS to either External PSTN / Local VOIP Phones / OCS Phones all work fine.

SIP calls from a soft phone directly registered with sipX work perfectly.

Which leads me to the Splicecom Maximiser system, but cannot be certain.

It's just plain weird that it works sometimes!

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,

Alex.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:52 AM

Answers

• Edge server is not a required piece of the OCS puzzle for R1 or R2. Trust me I have deployed both versions with out edge server using enterprise voice and it is not a requirement to use unless you actually need edge services. Sounds like you may have a gateway issue. You could try logging from the mediation server to see what is happening between OCS and your Sipx box. It could possibly be inbound media negotiation issue. You should be using G711u for inbound calls to OCS from SipX so that is one possible thing to check.

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:52 PM

All replies

• Alex,

Two questions:

1. Is your environment OCS2007 or OCS2007 R2?
    2. If R2, do you have Edge role server deployed?

With R2 any voice call, where Mediation server is involved, requires ICE thus Edge role server.

Drago

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:43 AM
  • It's a simple fully patched OCS 2007 (not R2) setup just a front end and mediation.

Cheers,

Alex.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Edge server is not a required piece of the OCS puzzle for R1 or R2. Trust me I have deployed both versions with out edge server using enterprise voice and it is not a requirement to use unless you actually need edge services. Sounds like you may have a gateway issue. You could try logging from the mediation server to see what is happening between OCS and your Sipx box. It could possibly be inbound media negotiation issue. You should be using G711u for inbound calls to OCS from SipX so that is one possible thing to check.

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Chris,

I had similar problems immediately after R2 deployment, which "magically" went away once the Edge was in place. Now as I think of - never had media gateway in place, SIP trunks only.

Drago

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:12 PM