Remote Desktop only allows two connections? RRS feed

• Question

• (This may sound really, really stupid to seasoned users, help a poor newbie please :D)

When I set up a Remote Desktop server, and I have two computers connected, on the third connection, it says too many computers are connected and prompts me to boot one. Is there any way to either allow more connections (preferred) or disable the prompt and have it just not let you connect (still helpful)?

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:19 AM

Answers

• On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:53:42 +0000, Glenn W Johnson wrote:

Our Windows Server 2008 R2 servers will only allow two RDP sessions.? I would guess that WHS Vail would have the same limit. The limit of two RDP sessions has been around since Windows Server 2003.

This is not a limitation imposed by the OS but is rather a licensing
    limitation. Ever since Terminal Services was included in the OS (Windows
    2000 Server) two licenses for TS have been granted out of the box for all
    server OS'. Anything more than 2 connections requires the installation of a
    licensing server and the purchase of additional licenses from Microsoft.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    What this country needs is a good five-cent microcomputer.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:11 PM
  • That is correct.

WHS will only accept two remote desktop connections. For example one of the connections can be the dashboard from a client and the other a remote login via remote desktop connection.

Do not open Dash board on multiple clients. Launch pad should be fine but not the dashboard.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:35 AM

All replies

• That is correct.

WHS will only accept two remote desktop connections. For example one of the connections can be the dashboard from a client and the other a remote login via remote desktop connection.

Do not open Dash board on multiple clients. Launch pad should be fine but not the dashboard.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:35 AM
  • (This may sound really, really stupid to seasoned users, help a poor newbie please :D)

The only stupid question is the one unasked.

When I set up a Remote Desktop server, and I have two computers connected, on the third connection, it says too many computers are connected and prompts me to boot one. Is there any way to either allow more connections (preferred) or disable the prompt and have it just not let you connect (still helpful)?

I haven't tried remoting in with more than one computer, but if I'm connected to the Dashboard and try connecting to it from another computer, the original client is logged out.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Our Windows Server 2008 R2 servers will only allow two RDP sessions.  I would guess that WHS Vail would have the same limit. The limit of two RDP sessions has been around since Windows Server 2003. 

This not to be confused with the number of remote connections to the server to access shared folders.

Glenn

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:53 AM
  • On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:53:42 +0000, Glenn W Johnson wrote:

Our Windows Server 2008 R2 servers will only allow two RDP sessions.? I would guess that WHS Vail would have the same limit. The limit of two RDP sessions has been around since Windows Server 2003.

This is not a limitation imposed by the OS but is rather a licensing
    limitation. Ever since Terminal Services was included in the OS (Windows
    2000 Server) two licenses for TS have been granted out of the box for all
    server OS'. Anything more than 2 connections requires the installation of a
    licensing server and the purchase of additional licenses from Microsoft.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    What this country needs is a good five-cent microcomputer.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:11 PM